The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: becoming overwelmed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1789 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I had gotten out of magic for about 20 years then aprox. 7 years ago stepped backed into with a new level of intensity. But what struck me immediately was the abundance of new resources available books, videos & effects & I quickly bit. So now, I have a fairly extensive library of both books & videos & have recently realized that I only perform a select core of effects. I have a few select books that I refer to repeatedly along with a few select videos. So I can't help but wonder, how does there seem to be so many out there that seem to do 100 different effects or 10 versions of the pass. When I was young I can remember getting a copy of something such as "stars of magic" or Bobo's coin magic & consuming it alone for months & I still refer to them. Are they performing them with a legitimate skill level, or is, just about performing the last fad.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
A little of both, with more of the latter than the former, I suspect.
After 50 years in the business, I have a core of books -- Bobo, especially -- that I repeatedly refer to.
Occasionally, I feel a bit "left out" (not often, though) when someone refers to so-and-so's new book or video. I haven't read/seen it, nor am I likely to. Ninety-nine out of a hundred of the new books and videos are flashes in the pan, soon to be cast aside and forgotten as soon as the next "fad" book or video or move or idea comes along.
Right now it's rubber bands.
I can recall 30 years ago when it was the coin matrix.
Before that (and before my time, thank God), it was patter in rhyme.
There will always be some new -- and, fortunately, short-lived -- fad coming along.
But check the posts on this board.
When referring to books, videos, etc. a few old standards always stand out and they come up on list after list.
Most of the "new" moves, etc. are just variations on the "old" moves, etc.
But dealers, manufacturers, creators, etc. are in the business of selling stuff and they have to have something new to sell to the hobbyists who make up 95 per cent of the magic fraternity.
Nothing wrong with that.
Just be aware of it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Patter in rhyme? Ouch!

That's the long and the short of it Peter. I have to do a lot of shrugging as well when it comes to the latest videos and books. I just don't really care. Almost everything is either a new way of doing something, I already do just fine, or something for an effect that only works on magicians who've seen some other effect. I guess I'm just not with the times.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Yep, Sable, patter in rhyme!
Be glad you weren't around back then.
There was even a group of magicians who set up rules for joining the group; one rule was that you had to vow that you had never and would never do patter in rhyme.
On the other hand (assuming there is one), the late Dell O'Dell had a lifelong career on the nightclub and stage circuit doing nothing but patter in rhyme; it was her trademark.
As for not being with the times, welcome to the club, Sable; there are a lot of us in it!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Patter and rhyme:
I do hereby swear (in no uncertain terms) that I will never, I mean never, do magic to rhyming patter. Can I join that club now? Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well, I suppose you can Sable -- but I think they're all dead! Smile
BTW, these were NOT the people who thought "poetic license" was a license to keep a poet.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well, I guess at least the dues must be reasonable. I wonder if you can pay seance money. Phantomcard or Astral Express perhaps. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
In general I agree about not using patter in rhyme, but, well, there's a place for everything. Doc Eason has a very funny bit called, "Stan, Kate and Edith", which is done in rhyme.

Bob Taxin
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I hereby do swear
(though it doesn't matter)
that I shall never dare
to rhyme with my patter.

D'oh.

:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, "Stan..." is Kerry Pollack's routine. Doc just performs it. He'll be the first to credit Kerry for it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
Scott, you're absolutely right. Kerry Pollack's name is printed clearly on the routine I purchased from Doc. My oversight! It's a good routine, made funnier by the fact that it's in rhyme, leading you to expect certain line endings, which he replaces with other words.

Bob Taxin