The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Best folding Canadian coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
Hey guys, over at MJMmagic.com he was selling some folding coins for around $10-$16 CDN. He's selling quarters, loonies, and toonies: which of these do you think I should buy.

Quarters are real popular, and everyone carries them around; but what if I were to do "bite coin" with a dollar, do you think that looks more impressive. A toonie as well is no exception.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
The first question is who makes the product in question.

For canadian coins, Roy Kupper is probably the best, so I preffer to buy his product over another.

As far as which coin to buy, Im not a fan of the toonie. It seems that for the folding toonies rather then make a "jagged" bite you get a smooth fold around the inner gold area. So while the toonie is awsome for coin in bottle, its perhaps the best choice for biting.

The loonie and toonie are both good choices. if youre looking for tips, perhaps the loon. But I think more people have quarters, so if you want practicality, maybe use it.

Good luck!
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
I'll go with the quarter, and yes the coins are from Roy Kueppers

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/folding-cd......156.html

Thanks

Oh by the way, not sure if you have any of his coins, but how long do the coins last? Long time? Does it deteriorate in quality?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Roys products are fantastic.

You shouldnt have any problems with them.

Ben

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Tony The Trick
View Profile
New user
Canada
13 Posts

Profile of Tony The Trick
I would agree. Your coins will last you a very long time. I bought some of his stuff years ago (and then some) and I still use them alot.

I personally like the loonie, but I do a lot of restuarant work and there's always a loonie around.

Have fun!
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Roy's coins are very good, I have owned a few.
Just a quick tip... And this is with any brand of folding coins, use more than one elastic, it works better and there is a slim chance BOTH will break.

Sam Pearce
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Sammy!

Whats up brother?

Sam offers a great suggestion. Use more then one elastic to avoid the embarrasing (though highly entertaining) coin exploding in the bottle.

Ben Train

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Sadly with the Twonnie the smooth cut is un-avoidable as once you cut into the gold part it will fall out without the complete silver encopassing it.

ALSO, be warry that you might have trouble getting some into bottles as a result since the middle cannot be made as skinny. I ca see this becoming a possible issue with some bottles.

But it does make me wonder why not make it from skratch? Aside from it being kinda illegal, but so is destroying coins by cutting them too.

But if you could make one from scratch with the gold and silver being one piece you might have something.

Also might allow for making the pieces all separate rather than cutting them all from one coin, making for a better, more invisible fit
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Without revealing secrets, it is possible to do the work on a twoonie. You just have to have a way of making the loose piece stay where it belongs. In most countries, it is not illegal to do this kind of work. Japan is an exception.

You are revealing secrets on an open forum, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
vanishingrabbit
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of vanishingrabbit
I sell most quarters in Calgary as they are the cheapest to buy, I prefer the twoonie because they are shiny and the middle core covers with the fine cut line around the middle. Roy does such a good job at these that any coin is great.

You can buy them at my Brick and Mortar shop. See address below
Magically yours,
Brent Smith
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
2 elastics!!! There's actually a cure for the exploding coin in the bottle trick!!! I can't believe it... that I didn't think of that before. Thanks guys!

Dre
gordieo
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of gordieo
I liek the $2 coin it just has a better cut that is better hiden
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Hi Brent! I bought a lonnie version from your store, and it works great. I also bought the karate lonnie as well. Applying both of them together has been very successful for me. I don't live in Calgary anymore, but I sure miss stopping into your store. You are such an expert and a gentleman and always made me feel comfortable about asking questions. Needless to say I purchased much of my stuff from your store. Your suggestion about using the karate coin along with the folding/bite lonnie was a great idea, and makes it so much more easier to end clean.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"