The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Close Up Tables...another topic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Sorry guys for another topic about the ol' Close Up Tables...

My question is, What should I use to make the BEST table top surface? I know this has been discussed a lot, but it all it quite confusing with different ideas Smile

It would be great if someone could help me out!

Also, I am looking into build the whole table, so if someone wrote some plans or has them in their head, please let me know!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Magically,

Tanner J
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I have made and sold many tables over the years. Wool felt is the durable. However, high quality velvet seems to be better for performing on. I place 1/4" batting under the cover.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Thanks Lee Smile

What kind of stores can I find 'batting' in? I actually don't even know what this is ;P

Tanner
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Batting is a material that is often used to fill pillows or quilts. It comes in various thicknesses and is usually made from cotton or polyester. Check out Wal-Mart or any fabric store.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Thanks Amos Smile

Tanner

Another other ideas?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Do a search for pool table felt, which is available in lots of colors, or visit a billiard store.
POOF!
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Velvet has the right amount of loft to be able to easily pick up cards and coins, especially for moves such as the Zarrow shuffle and the Dingle/Schneider pickup move. Automotive headliner works well as a substrate - it is thin but uniform thickness and has a decent give to it without being overly bulky, and is available at fabric stores cheaply. I tried high quality felt but it did not have enough give - I could still do the zarrow, but it was not as effortless as I wanted. And I tried a pigskin suede for the top layer, which looked very elegant and is very durable, but it does not have the loft for intricate card and coin work. Good luck -

Bill
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
He TannerJade

Here is pic of mine: http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/mediapoo......able.jpg

I used a keyboard stand, an aluminium picture frame made to my size, billard cloth cushioned with 10 mm foam.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 03:50, CardMaker wrote:
He TannerJade

I used a keyboard stand, an aluminium picture frame made to my size, billard cloth cushioned with 10 mm foam.

That's a nice table, do you have the details on the contruction?

I find it interesting because I use my keyboard stand for DJ equipment and Keyboards. Now I see it for another use. I was thinking of just using some good
quality wood, put some molding on the side with my closup mat on top. What do you
guys think?

Also, I went to Disney and saw Johnny Diamond's (Terry Ward) table and said immediately...I want that....

Any details where I can get plans or ideas on where to get these tables?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Terry Wards Table is in essence the School for Scoundrels table.

Best,
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Dare I suggest going to the Great Frame Up, getting a frame with rounded raised edges and place the felt and/or headliner or other substrate over the backing that comes with the frame. Add a waiter's tray stand, and you are in business for 1/3 the cost.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
scarylarry
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of scarylarry
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 03:50, CardMaker wrote:
He TannerJade

Cardmaker, I know this is an old thread, but I have searched and searched and your close up table looks better and sturdier than most I have seen. Does the metal frame construction work well over the years? It looks perfect!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I've got a small side table that uses picture frame as well, but I use a tripod for the base/legs. Looks sharp, packs light.

As to the OP's question, even though this is serious necro threading, I back all my tables with a double layer of wool felt, followed by a top surface of triple velvet. Plenty of give for coins/cards.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I've never thought of using a picture frame! Brilliant!