The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Vernon Touch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EMVT
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EMVT
Hi guys I just ordered the book the Vernon Touch from Genii as I heard this book is awesome I have all the Vernon books and I also wanted to add this to my bookshelf I heard Vernon talks about many topics including naturalness(obviously) and many other interesting stories about gamblers and other special people with great talent etc. etc. anybody else have this wonderful book with all its goodies.

EMVT
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Vernon doesn't "instruct" you as much as he speaks in his everyday voice and you have to read between the lines to glean the information.

You can read the book as a series of Vernons columns, or you can read the book as the output of a master who doesn't give you the easy street to his teachings, but instead makes you work to hear them.

But you have to trust that they're contained within the book, something that may not be apparent until you're well into it.
EMVT
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EMVT
Thanks for the info silverking can't wait to read it soon.
cardini345
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of cardini345
I was just wondering because I'm also thinking of getting the vernon touch does Dai Vernon actual teach some tips on sleights, effects etc. Or is more about his philoshpy. Also is there a difference between the vernon touch and volume 4 of the vernon chronicles book because I'm also thinking of getting that as well.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
As Silverking mentioned above, The Vernon Touch is a book containing all the columns he wrote for Genii Magazine. The column was called the Vernon Touch. No, it is not instructional material like reading books on card tricks and how to do them. Still, it provides great insight to things that were going on in the period that the column were written.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
The collection is more of a gossip column about magic and magicians that gives an accurate view of what was happening through the years it was published in Genii. It features Vernon's poimnt of view on all things magicial and while it's not a book of tricks if you read between the lines it is definitely instructional.