The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Best egg for "Silk to Egg" (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Full Deck
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Full Deck
Need help in finding the best fake egg for "Silk to Egg" routine. I've been performing Michael Ammar's routine for many years until someone decided to walk off with my close-up case that contained my fake egg. Looking to replace the fake egg and not sure where I purchased it originally. The egg that I had was a little on the small side and was wondering if anyone had a good source for replacement. Pm me.

Thanks,

Full Deck
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Viking makes an amazing egg that is almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

It rocks!
Logic Defied
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
That's true - I've heard eggselent things about it!
:)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've not seen the viking egg but the Eggs-actly eggs by Tirofog Inc. are wonderful.
they make great egg bag eggs, silk to eggs, and custom eggs.

Plus it's a one-man shop and the guy is very nice.

http://www.tirofoginc.com

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Make one yourself. Then it will be completely indistinguishable from the real thing.
Here in the UK that is virtually the only option because we only have brown eggs and all the gaffed ones I've seen are white.
It's just a question of blowing an egg, carefully making and enlarging a hole in the side, then strengthening it with filling paste. (The stuff you use for filling small holes in walls. I think Americans call it spackle. Or whatever else you find on the shelves of the hardware shop). I've also used resin but you have to be careful because it sometimes shrinks.
Jolyon Jenkins
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I know that this might be a bit off topic, but rjenkins...why only brown eggs? When I lived in London as a boy, we had hens who (to the best of my recollection) laid white eggs...I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering why it is that way, or has it become that way since a certain time??

Kaylan
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I suspect brown eggs were seen as more wholesome or healthy. I couldn't say when the shift occurred (I don't eat eggs) but probably gradually over the last 10 years. I would defy you to find a white egg in a British supermarket now.
Jolyon Jenkins
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Buy a gaffed white egg and paint it to match the real eggs you have. I used to use spray paint from store window display outfits that they used to retouch manequins. You could really do a match by painting the real egg as well.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
There is a egg on the market called super silk to egg, I have been using the same egg for years now, no problem and you can't tell its fake!
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
GEORGE HAS THE BEST at Viking.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Just blow one, it's not too difficult and it's certainly cheap.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A blown egg isn't strong enough for the s to e.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 22:58, Frank Starsini wrote:
I've not seen the viking egg but the Eggs-actly eggs by Tirofog Inc. are wonderful.
they make great egg bag eggs, silk to eggs, and custom eggs.

Plus it's a one-man shop and the guy is very nice.

http://www.tirofoginc.com

frank

I have to echo Franks recommendation these eggs are by far THE best!
Mindboggler
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Mindboggler
I bought the latex one witch isn't the best to stuff a hanky into like at all ...the new plastic one that comes with a plastic yolk has a very small hole and the compartment is very small not so good for big hankys. how were the old good eggs made ...were they just plastic easter eggs that magicians would make a hole in? anyone know? ... they wouulnt be wood would they? which one did lance Burton?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2023, Mindboggler wrote:
how were the old good eggs made ...were they just plastic easter eggs that magicians would make a hole in? anyone know? ... they wouulnt be wood would they? which one did lance Burton?

There were indeed some made out of wood. Many early ones were also made from real eggs. Sid Lorraine taught me his method to make them which I described here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=54 This has worked very well for me.

At a recent IBM Ring 56 meeting we had a swap meet. I picked up a complete, unused Bob Sanders "I don't do blue material" set. His egg is VERY good. I haven't used it yet in live performance as I currently am not doing Silk to Egg. But I will rotate it in sometime next year.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Hands down the best quality comes from propdog.co.uk
Dave makes props that last
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Old thread but a very interesting one- I work the corporate Market only and perform S2E in numerous comedy stage shows and get incredible reactions.
The 2 places over many years I get eggs from are Viking Magic whose Eggs are white, Brown and the best thing is their fake Spots are the best around- Please Note I also have Bob Sanders Fake Eggs which are as good and a fabulous product.

The photo is of Viking Fake with Silk Spots- I use white eggs solely for visibility in larger venues I play regardless. If I cant find white Eggs I spray paint Brown eggs with a Matt White finish that matches my fake-takes 10 mins and they look great, I have 3 eggs per show in case of breakages-served me well for 20 years in Professional Shows

Click here to view attached image.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
I got mine from Viking and highly recommend them!
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
Buy cheap plastic eggs. Cut a hole and paint it If it is necessary. Done!