The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Special Guest Appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Hi, I've been working Bar/Bat Mitzvah's as well as sweet 16's lately, and I've been asked if I can make the guest of honour appear. It's a service I would love to offer, I was wondering what props work well with an untrained assistant, I was thinking maybe a dollhouse or double tip over?

Thanks

Gabe
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Performing conditions?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Book of Life...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
In the past I used a "standard" cabinet. Used it specifically for guests of honour. Basically it just had a double wall at the back. It was simple enough with only about 2 minutes of practice, they could do it. Stand in here. Wait for the three knocks. Move forward and close behind you. Front door will open. Take your applause.

This could be used by many body types except very larger people.

The dollhouse is very limited to the body type you can use.
The tip over box is not angle proof.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Victory Cartons is still quite an impressive effect, and easy and cheap to build. But, like the Tip Over Trunk, its not angle proof. If angles aren't a problem I would think this is your cheapest solution, and also takes very little rehearsal. It can be found in Mark Wilson's books.

Mark
Mark Daniel
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Thanks every body.. what is "the book of life"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The "Book of Life" is a little larger than you might wish to drag out to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or a Sweet 16 Party. Even the Door Illusion (Mark Wilson's Course) is a little on the clunky transportation side. The other illusions suggested so far require the guest of honor to be cooped up on her hands and knees... lots of luck getting his or her cooperation in that!

You might consider Jim Gerrish's Utility Cabinet made of PVC Pipe (therefore easy to transport and set up) and curtains. It's in his PVC Pipe Illusion Book #1 on my site. Cost to make - about $20 depending on the quality of your curtains, which you can make yourself or buy from any curtain store. If you have two assistants to hold it up, you can make the hand-held version for even less. Best of all, the prince or princess does the whole thing in a standing position which doesn't wrinkle clothes or mess up expensive hair-do's.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Thanks everybody!