The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: Homage to Vaudeville (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Here is the Vanishing Birdcage done as part of a send-up to those grand days of yesteryear, before movies had *ulp* people talking. As you watch, think of the old newsreels that showed taste, culture and glamour. The following video displays none of those characteristics, but think of them anyway...

http://www.folksinging.tv/Pesky.wmv

(I did post this clip in an earlier thread in "Everything Old Is New Again", but thought it might belong in this new area.)
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Well um a....The bird cage vanish was nice..The facial expressions and walking out of frame, well it didn't do much for me. Taste, culture, glamour ????? I don't get it. Thanks for posting it though. Just one man's opinion.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Charlie Chaplin was what I think he was going for, right?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Thanks for the responses!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2287 Posts

Profile of Logan
Yeah, you might wish to start the video with you already in front of the camera with the bird cage.

Granted, you may have wanted to give off the Vaudeville feel with all the facial expressions, but it doesn't translate as well close up on video as it did on stage back then.

But I enjoyed the video all the same!

You have a shiny moustache!

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What the heck was that all about?

(Please hold the birdcage square.)

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
LOL...That was hilarious! Everyone missed the point I think. I thought it was great. Nice tube sock tie. The Vaudvillians would be proud.

Chad
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I liked it.
But then, I have always been bout a half bubble off center.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Reminds me why I don't like Charlie Chaplin much...
May I recommend Buster Keaton.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
This was funny - a bit of judicious editing, especially of the excessive mugging at the beginning, and it would be hilarious!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Many different good opinions, thanks for watching!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
If I can make a few suggestions. Not on performance but on the video itself.

I think that if this was recorded in front of an old brick building in black and white with an "Old film". To make it look like a "Flicker Film" they had back in those days. I think the video would better fit the kind of material you are doing.

I turned one of my videos into an old video just to demonstrate. You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBjrl292ys

To get this effect using Windows Movie Maker I used the (Film age - older)(Grayscale) (Sepia tone) video effects.

Just thought I'd share that in case you want to give it a try.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Ron -
I really liked the effect! I'm going to look into this. Thanks for the suggestions!
Charley
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I could make it for you if you don't have movie maker. Just let me know.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Ron - Thanks for the offer. I just upgraded to XP SP2 that includes the upgraded Windows Movie Maker with effects and was able to make some headway. Here's the result, same clip, with the new "old" effects.

And a big tip of the hat back to Ron Jaxon, without whom I wouldn't have even known about this.

http://www.folksinging.tv/Pesky2.wmv