The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Fuzzle thread question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just added Magic Fuzzles to my Svengali Pitch, and am experimenting with the best thread to use.

The stuff that comes packed with the Fuzzles isn't bad, but after being wrapped around the stringcard, it's full of kinks that don't come out, which isn't conducive to smooth handling. I also tried some IT, but either it's way too fragile or I'm way too clumsy to use that stuff.

So I'm currently using some 2-pound nylon fishing line that I picked up in K-Mart. It's smooth, thin and yet strong enought to hold up for repeated demos, but can reflect light if I'm not careful. I saw some other light fishing line marked "Blue Fluorescent," which seemed to be clear but not as reflective; I wonder if that would be an improvement.

Anybody have any suggestions for some good Fuzzle thread? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Seth:

If you go here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&38

They discuss this topic.

Hope this helps.

George
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, George, for the tip and link to that discussion.

I had seen that topic, which suggested using Kevlar or fishing line that had been darkened with a Sharpie. But I struck out with my IT experiments, and coloring the line didn't strike me as feasible given the continuous handing of it (however, it did remind me about Kellar and Thurston's troubles when using lampblack for a similar purpose on their Princess Karnac setup!).

That's why I figured I'd start a fresh thread on this issue (no pun intended). What I'd really like is a non-shiny nylon line, if there is such a thing. But failing that, I hope to eventually become deft enough to use an even thinner thread, which would be great if it didn't break from continuous demos. SETH
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Seth,

There was also mention of invisible thread that is sold in the fabric dept of walmart and in most fabric shops.

Give that a try also.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have now tried the "invisible thread" that's sold in fabric stores. While it is strong enough and probably thin enough, it is shiny, which is the "kiss of death" in this situation. So that's not an option.

I'm presently working on getting some slightly heavier magician's IT, which I'm hoping will be flat black, thin but still strong enough to use for repeated handling. I'm sure that I will eventually find something suitable, it's just a matter of time [I think Thomas Edison said something similar while working on the filament for his electric light bulb]. <grin> SETH
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Seth,

Let us know what you ultimately figure out. I'm interested in finding out what works best.

Thanks, Mark.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Your enemy is direct light

Get a canopy and use the invisible sewing thread.

Strong enough and no direct sun is better for you and thread

Also pay attention to the pattern of the shirt you are wearing
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Jeez ...... unravel some pantyhose,
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.