The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Pen Thru Anything...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
From the picture of the wonder pen whatever it looks like it is a misled gimmick. Oh well, I commonly mistake the gimmicks for pen thru whatever.

-Max
white hats rule.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2002-12-26 15:14, RegalFan wrote:
The handling is all the same for all the pens Alan! LOL!

I've seen some where the handling is a little different. There are a lot of versions out there! You really need to get out more.
Smile
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
The handling can be done all the same! It is not like you have to do it a different way for a certain Pen through Anything. I didn't like the Magic Penetration Pen from Empire. It was supposed to write well and it never did. At most I got a little nick of ink on the page. It was horrible!
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
The perfect pen has one major flaw. The cap will stick to the pen. The second flaw is that the pen will not withstand an aggressive inspection due to its fragility you risk damage besides exposure. The third flaw is that it lacks identification. Who has ever seen a pen like this in the real world? In my opinion, the perfect pen was created to entertain the magi using it. I will take the original Pen thru Anything anytime. Plus I can always obtain ungaffed ones customized with a logo of my clients as a giveaway.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

The clips on most other pens are magnetized too! That has always been so! The point I was trying to make earlier in case you didn't read above was that the Perfect Pen looks completetly fine if you are wearing nice clothes. It doesn't look too hot if you are carrying an average pen with a dinner suit on when you are performing! The Perfect Pen rocks when used right!

-Andrew
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you know who I agree with? Everybody. lol. Whatever clean pen trick a person prefers is the best one for them. Smile

But be aware of a duplicate Perfect Pen. It cost about $25. The magnets aren't as close. The pen looks crooked during the effect. The real Perfect Pen is made by John C. I don't know who made the fake one. And I believe it is called "The Pen."
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2002-12-27 12:31, RegalFan wrote:
The handling can be done all the same! It is not like you have to do it a different way for a certain Pen through Anything. I didn't like the Magic Penetration Pen from Empire. It was supposed to write well and it never did. At most I got a little nick of ink on the page. It was horrible!

Sounds like you should have returned it. Both of mine work great! Besides I've seen so many different versions -- gaffed bills, borrowed pen used in the effect, etc. There are a wide range of methods for the effect and all are examinable. I even performed the old Pen Thru Anything -- had a switch of pens that fooled magicians. Everyone has an opinion on what works. But, then again, I never cared for the Perfect Pen.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

The shop would not let me return it!

-Andrew
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
Has any one tried sharpie through anything? If not you should it's the best.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Stick!

Never heard of the Sharpie-thru-anything! I'll do a search. Thanks, Stick!

The original Pen Thru Anything is the only one I use. I have a couple of "regular" pens that are gimmicked similarly, but I usually carry a Monte Blanc (sp?) pen anyway, so it fits perfectly, and is even more mysterious when spectators see you use something you carry every day for such an effect.

Perfect Pen I've seen, nice. Classy. If not used constantly, it should hold up, but I agree, it cannot stand too close of scrutiny, as I found the gimmick the first time I handled it. Not to say the layman will, but some "speckies" may discover it. It would be a good "special" occasion pen, but a magician I correspond with says his wore out, too bad. Nice Pen.

You guys have some great ideas. I'd love to see some different routines and handling for the "Pens Thru Anything", regardless of make and style.

Doug
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I have a Pen through dollar, a stealth pen, an exectutive pen, and a "home made" white bic pen. I use all of them. It's especially handy if someone has seen you perform it before and you are using a different pen.

Some have a tendency to make to big of a deal out of the penetration of the bill, TADA, THE PEN IS THROUGH THE DOLLAR!!! This is not magic, anyone can do that. The real magic is when the bill is "healed". If the focus remains on the bill then the pen is never an issue.

One of my routines is a double bill penetration using a Canadian bill and an American bill. I usually ask "Which Dollar is stronger?" the bill they choose goes on top. "Let's see if (the "strong" bill) can protect it's friend". From there both bills are penetrated, ripped, "Whooops, looks like you should have chosen the other bill" and restored. "I guess the bills are looking out for each other" Just a slight variation.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I'm sure there are different kinds methods for whatever through bill.

Could be Sharpie, Highlighter, marker or knife through bill.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
GaryW,

You just gave me an incredible idea...I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" your post, above?

Man...that's why I LOVE this forum!

Long live Steve Brooks!

Thanks, Gary!

Doug
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I personally like the pen-thru-anything. However, I have left the pen on the table keeping the cap separate from the main part of the pen, in case someone wants to look at it.

I have done the effect several hundred times and there were 2 occasions when someone gave the tip a pull, at which point, I quickly took the pen back and said, “Oops, I guess you broke my pen.”

Ce la vee

Smile
Long Island,

New York
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Just curious. Have any of you "pen performers" ever tried or use Jay Sankey's "Dough" approach and if not, why not?
Thanks.
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
Can never work up the intestinal fortitude to do it. I was into paper folding a long time back and the first thing after I saw David Copperfeld performed Misled was the same fold as Jay Sankey's. Haven't tried it myself but did hear good responses about the finger thru bill shown on "Just Passin Thru".