The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: The Great Flydini (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Amazing Seven
View Profile
New user
Billings, Mt
4 Posts

Profile of Amazing Seven
Has anyone else seen the Johnny Carson show that had Steve Martin as The Great Flydini on it? If not, you gotta get a hold of one of those Best Of Carson videos. If you are into comical magic, you will laugh your socks down. He has one of his arms down his slacks and a fake arm in the sleeve. He does hilarious productions from his zipper. The bouquet of flowers got me. I laughed so hard that my dog got nervous. Smile
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
Here's a link to some other annimations that he's done on the same theme... very funny! I haven't visited it for a while... hope it's still up and running. Enjoy Steve Martin animated magic show as "Morto the Magician." It takes a little time to download... but it's worth it.

Click Here!

Click Here!
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
My understanding is the Great Flydini was a routine Steve would do from time to time at friends' parties. He did do a little of it on someone's (who was it?) magic TV special, but it took Johnny Carson to persuade Steve to do the complete act on one of the last Tonight Shows.

And God bless Johnny for doing it. That act is undoubtedly one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life. Now it belongs to the ages!
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The late Peter Pit was hired by Steve Martin as a consultant to help put together the Flydini act. The original idea was Steve's, but when he wanted to do something more formal with it than just friend's parties, he got Peter to help him expand the act. Peter was always very proud of his part in producing Flydini, and thought it was one of the funniest acts he had ever seen.
HighClass
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of HighClass
Steve Martin what a comedy genius!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Steve Martin = true Renaissance artist. If you haven't done so already, read his autobiography, Born Standing Up. He goes all the way back to being a kid at Disneyland on opening day, to working at the Disney magic shop as a teenager, to struggling to find an audience for his Café shows that combined banjo, magic and comedy, and then all the way up to the super big time and its aftermath. Very honest book that is all too short.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
I remember seeing this the firt time Steve did this on Carson.....Laughed so hard it brought tears to your eyes!
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Old, Old post... but I just watched the act again. And I am still laughing! I am also wondering about his pocket management. Amazing!!! And that compact bubble machine! So much going "in the pants"! How???
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I'd say I show the video of this act to someone new every couple of months and every time I do, I laugh just as hard as the first time I saw it.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Here you go...Enjoy a fabulous act, sincere thanks to Peter Pit & of course Steve Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9xKU8eYCFk
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
This is classic I remember watching it when it aired. Steve Martin was hilarious lol
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Gotta keep this homage alive! After 20+ years, still the funniest comedy magic routine ever! Watch it again when you have the time--it really holds up.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2022, Brent McLeod wrote:
Here you go...Enjoy a fabulous act, sincere thanks to Peter Pit & of course Steve Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9xKU8eYCFk

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing Brent. Love Steve Martin and his sense of humor.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
He opened for the Smothers Brothers a few times with the act which he broke in at the Magic Castle.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI