The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Digital Voice Recorder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I have been using a digital voice recorder to "write" and memorize script for C&B's so far. There are 4 sections to store files as well as a dictation area. I use one section for ideas and the others for works in progress. It is small enough to carry with me so when ideas come I can capture them while the iron is hot.

As I "write" when a paragraph/section is complete to my satisfaction, I use playback to prompt me while I am memorizing. This allows me to work on not only remembering the words, but also work on how they sound, i.e. inflection, dynamics, attacks, releases, tempo, character, etc.

Many times when something is created at the moment it is nothing short of gold. After all you just wrote it, it's a baby, and who doesn't like a baby. I give it a few days and then come back and listen. Often that baby becomes an orphan, or gets plastic surgery so to speak. This alone makes the device worth the trouble for me.

The model I chose (Panasonic RR-QR160) has a jack for an external mic. I've been recording performances to hear how the lines are received and any ad libs that come up. My memory can not be trusted to save these one time golden moments and learn from them. Also if anyone gives me the business I can critique how I handled it and learn from my mistakes or how to avoid the business in the first place.

So, if you too have less than stellar grey cells dedicated to memory and want a simple way to write script or work on delivery, I highly suggest the digital voice recorder as an affordable solution.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I use a digital recorder too. In addition to how you use it, I will also record scripts from videotapes or DVDs, and type it out (it only takes a few repetitions for me to get it down, but I'm a fast typist). Then I add in parentheses some of the moves - it's essentially like blocking a play for actors. I highlight the moves in yellow, and bold the script. Currently, I am working on Brad Burt's version of Chop Cup that way. But I've used it for my own scripts as well.
Then, I try to remember as much of the script as possible - not word for word. However, as professional magicians have told me, I find that when I get to know a routine really really well that I have virtually arrived at a near word for word rendering during rehearsal and the actual performance (which can be varied depeding on spectator reaction)
kerpa
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Philip Hilton
View Profile
New user
Scarborough UK
35 Posts

Profile of Philip Hilton
I use a digital recorder, but as a way to have live sound fx not on my soundtrack. Its good if there is something I need to happen, but that doesn't always fill an exact time slot. Having it live I just switch it on and have it picked up on my mic and it happens right on cue. It mean's that if I get delayed by something, very handy in kids shows, the sound will still be there on time for me.
Cheers Phil
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I use mine for notes after the show - in the car on the way home...
MagicMikeMartin
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of MagicMikeMartin
When inspiration hits....I usually note it in writing, however when I revisit it, it seems much less exciting....does anyone else experience this?
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Its also good for recording my shows to catch new ideas and lines as they pop up
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I have one too, I mostly use paper for notes, etc...probably because I don't always carry the recorder with me, it is good when I do, I know David Acer does a similar thing as Comedy Writer mentioned. I use the Zoom H2, great all around device for all sorts of uses.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Magicmike I know just what you mean. At the time it seems like a breakthrough and I'm all jazzed about it. Then the next day when I start putting it together it is not as cool as it seemed in my head.
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Cam!! so much better!
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I have mine right here -- its a Sony ICD-p620. But any recorder will do, so as its easy to use and had lots of recording time. Stop by Target and pick one up.