The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Lunch With Steve Baker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi guys,

I just had lunch with Steve. It was a very profitable experience, as he showed me how to do a rope routine of his, helped me fine tune a handcuff escape and shared with me his video of the french transport chain routine. I am purchasing he F.T.C. to use in a show, and his video is amazing. Not a teaching video per se, you wont learn the move from it. Still it gives you a nice idea of what you can do with it. Best of all it looks visually much more imposing than its' large looped cousin. I still say a lay audience won't really know the difference, but why take the chance. I had the opportunity to test drive Steve's F.T.C. twice now. 1st at last years convention and then at a dinner we had. It is a wonderful device. I watched him lock antother magician in them, and he couldn't get it off! It is a cool device!

Break a chain everybody
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey Cliff,

I just had a great conversation with Steve on the phone today. He helped me out with a few things too!!!

A great guy with years of experience and some GREAT ideas.

The FTC looks pretty cool, let me know how well they work for you when you receive them.

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Have not had the honour yet of having lunch with him, but have had Steve phone me before when I was still in Cape Town. I must agree to everything posted above. Steve is probably the MOST helpful person I have met when it comes to Entertainment (and I have spoken to many people in all forms of entertainment). I have not met another person who is willing to take time out of his busy schedule to help even the most beginner of entertainers. If it was not for him. I would not be chattign with any of you here today. He was the one who introduced me to the Café. I hope that I get to have the honour of having lunch with him one day.

Many thanks, Steve.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Andrew Basso
View Profile
New user
Italy
29 Posts

Profile of Andrew Basso
Ciao from Italy to everybody!
Steve Baker is a great person with an inestimable experience and I will never stop to thank him for the unbelievable support is giving for my career!
Steve,You are a Friend!I can't wait to meet You!

ANDREW BASSO
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
A few months back, I spent a few days with Steve Baker during the taping of MINDFREAK in Las Vegas. Though Steve and I had been friends for quite a while, it was the first time we officially met in person. To say it was a great time would be understating things. Steve brought along a ton of stuff to show me, which was very cool. I believe he also had the FTCs with him then too. He also had my Challenge Belt which I had to send back for a minor adjustment. If memory serves, it was during this time that we forumulated the routine I would do with the Challenge Belt.

Steve is always quick with a story or anecdote and he is a great listener as well. All in all it was a great few days and I would encourage everyone to spend some time with Steve. As has been said, he is extremely giving and is a veritable fountain of knowledge.

Carnegie
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Lucky man Cliff!

I’ve never had the privilege meeting Mr. Baker face to face. However I got to “meet” him over the phone when I bought one of his escape items. He called me to make sure that he knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted certain elements to work. His attention to detail and his customer service impressed me no end! I am not used to a builder calling me on his own nickel and making sure that every little detail is spoken for.

I have found him gracious, helpful, and very giving of his expertise and knowledge. He has given me a couple of presentation “tips” that have improved my little act.

I hope to be able to meet him in person some day.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Agreed as to the calling you Harry. When Steve phoned me, He phoned me here in South Africa and just to have a chat. How many people (Leave alone celebrities) would do that.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa