The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Water Issues. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey Gang,

Just a quick question...

I'm now doing a number of underwater escapes. I'm having some issues with the excess water that overflows out of the escape.

When you're outdoors this is no probs, but the weather is gettting colder and the venues are moving indoors. I don't know of too many theaters that appreciate gallons of water dumping all over their stages!

I have a few ideas for catching and containing the water, but rather than re-inventing the wheel, I thought I'd see what others have used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The simplest solution is to set up your equipment inside a kiddie plastic pool. These are cheap, made from hard plastic, and since they don't fold, are probably a witch to move from place to place. At least they are very light weight. Be sure to bring a small pump with you, and a long hose top pump the water to anywhere outside, or to a bathroom.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 14:59, Cliffg37 wrote:
The simplest solution is to set up your equipment inside a kiddie plastic pool. These are cheap, made from hard plastic, and since they don't fold, are probably a witch to move from place to place. At least they are very light weight. Be sure to bring a small pump with you, and a long hose top pump the water to anywhere outside, or to a bathroom.

that's what I was to say, beat me to it. But you can find folding ones if you look hard enough on the net.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Thanks guys....

The pool idea is good.....But I have to come up with something that's pretty mobile...Travels easily (small), Can be taken off the stage within minutes.... I'm just thinking of the logistics that EVERY situation might have.... Like if there's an act that has to go on after me..... Performing on a stage that others have to perform on too.....etc.

I'd also like it to be pretty stealthy.... So it's not really seen, or looks like part of the prop.

Looks like it's time for all of us to put on our thinking caps.

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
A metal platform that the escape prop sits on could be an easy answer. Could be heavy and awkward to transport though. It could contain a shallow tray to catch the overflow and have a drainage hole at the bottom to attatch a drainage tube to empty it after the performance. I have also seen this used with a steel mesh on top of the tray, with the escape prop sitting on top of the mesh. This way, when the water overflows, it goes thru the mesh into the tray, avoiding the distraction of the audience, who should be watching you and not where the water is going!

Locking castors on the feet would allow easy and fast removal from the stage, where it can be emptied backstage.

Hope this helps

Mick H
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Hello guys,
I've grown very fond of these...
http://www.interstateproducts.com/safety/1633.html
http://www.interstateproducts.com/safety/1632.html

they can be set up in any lay out you like. If you put the pallets on a sheet of thick plywood with locking casters (don't forget one in the middle, water escapes are very heavy)they can be rolled off stage quickly. They also sort of look cool in the yellow. If you don't want yellow you can paint them with plastic paint.
They don't really fit the "small" request but they are not that bad.
Look around the internet I'm sure you can find many to pick from and get a good price.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Hey Ms. Morgan
Long Time No Talk!!!!!!

Hope things are well???

I like the single version. That on a Platform with Casters is a REALLY GREAT IDEA!!!

I'm thinking that if I don't fill the prop right to the top it won't spill as much, but I still want the overflow to come out....It looks really great and definitely sets the mood!!!

Now we're talking!!!....Now if I could come up with something like that, but folds down for transport.....mmmmmmmmm!!!

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Hey Michael,
Good to see you about as well. I've just been busy. Even now I should be doing paper work and scripts for up coming shows but I'm poking around the web instead...bad.
Anyway, the same company makes spill berms. They do fold down and could also be put on a caster dolly sort of thing. You'd need them to make you a custom size but, they do that. Catalog berms tend to be big.

http://www.interstateproducts.com/spill_berms.htm

About half way down the is a photo of a small one.

Good luck!
Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Apache
View Profile
New user
Finland
77 Posts

Profile of Apache
This is little hard to explain with my English so hope you understand...

Make frame from boards. Place rubber canvas over the frame. You can make just right side for you and make frame dismountable. You can make little bigger frame over the other, so canvas borders go between frames. Decorate usuitable for the show. Cheap and easy to carry.

-Jari-
Mike B
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Mike B
When performing the Aquarian Illusion, Mark Wilson had a couple tanks of water to fill the tank that the lady went into.

The assistants filled most of the tank, the lady climbed up inside, then they topped it off, allowing a little for the remaining displacement of water.

When she went underwater, they hardly spilled a drop.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. All the ideas are great and have been a great help.

I think we figured out a couple of methods that will work for most situations.

I appreciate the input!!!

Michael
www.michaelberends.com