The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: No... better misdirection for picking pockets than this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
No Insights on this Autumn.

Perhaps being hired by a large organization that is non-profit, like the Children's Make a Wish Foundation, or Missing Children's Network, would be worthwhile to consider and investigate. They could write a letter speaking about the uniqueness of your show and explain that no other Canadian citizen has a show like it. Often non-profits can pay the performer, or the perormer makes a donation of their fee and this amount becomes tax deductable.

By "proving" your uniqueness with a letter from the client, written on you rbehalf, you are not taking a job away form a Canadian. I would suppose that a private company could do the same thing and thus you could get paid!

Hope this is of some help and worth further investigation.

Calling a trusted agent in Canada might also provide you with insight into the necesary steps for a US performer to work in Canada.

Obviously, David Copperfield has an "in". Perhaps if you send him an e-mail via his site (if he reads them)he could offer some advise.

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I do know that being a canadian magician, I've never had, nor heard of any of the locals having difficultly going to the States to work.

The magicians from America that perform in Canada (at least lecturers) have to send their stuff via mail so it isn't taken from them at the border.

Autumn Morning Star- You'll have to let me know if and when you are performing in Canada (Ontario). My wife is native, and we visit her reserve several times a year to see family, so it would be nice to take them to a show.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
This thread, which was started (and remains) under "Pardon me sir... No better misdirection for picking pockets", is turning into a thread consisting of important content on how US performers might travel "safely" across the border and perform in Canada without hassle or worry.

I believe at this point, such information deserves it's own special title and belongs in a different category (perhaps under tricky business?) so that other Magicinas can contribute and hopefully help encourage Autum Morning Star to make renewed efforts to treat Canadian audiences to her unique and spiritually rich and entertaining show(...with the understanding that you will launch your Canadian tour starting in Montreal, then head in a westerly, rather than easterly, direction).

Autumn, if you're still out there, I invite you to do the honours and post such a new thread...

Best regards,

Jonathan
Jonathan
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Thank you, Jonathan, and I shall. Mea Culpa for the diversion. See you in "Tricky Business"! When I come up with a good solution for dealing with Canadian customs I will see you in Montreal! Nordatrax, I will pm you when I head up that way.

Now back to misdirection for picking pockets: You will never believe this, but the SIGN on many European trains warning tourists about pick pockets serves as the perfect misdirection! The tourist reads the sign then invaribly feels for their wallet, alerting the pickpocket to the location. This makes the pinch much easier.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
See you over in Tricky Business Autumn, and eventually in Montreal (if the advice given is helpful.

Interesting observation, about how the warning signs on train actually "help".

Perhaps travellers woudl be well advised to secretly switch their wallets for moutsetraps..."ouch!".

Hmmm... in this way the perpetrator would become the victim of thier own malicious intent.

I know, I know, not a very kind and gentle thought for the "victims", but it might make them think twice the next time.

Jonathan
Jonathan
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Sorry Autumn, that was supposed to be me. Nordatrax was on my computer last, and I forgot to change his sign in with mine.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Oh, hey James, no problem!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
There was a group in sydney that actually put up signs warning of pickpockets in the area, for the same reason that the train signs are so bad - people felt for their wallets after seeing them letting the group know which pockets to go for....worked well to - last I heard they hadnt been caught, but the scam was shown on the news if I remember correctly lol