The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Rabbit fur (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I love my little dwarf.
Since he is 99% litter box trained as far as #1, he has full roam of the bathroom.
The only complaint I have is he sheds ALOT.
Any guidance on what type of brush or come I should use would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Invest in a good bagless vacuum cleaner!

We actually have found that a "people" brush works better on our furry friends than the pet store brushes.

Cris
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Just shave all the hair off him! (Y)

Just kidding!

I take my rabbit outside during his shedding season and just pull off the hair. We also found a lint roller to work really well on him (it doesn't hurt him at all... it puts him to sleep!)

Make sure to use a cream that prevents hairballs forming in the rabbits throat. You can find it at any pet store.

Evan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Shedding is a problem during July and August. I use a pet brush....one with the little metal bristles. I also use my hand.....sometimes dampened, sometimes dry. I will dampen a washcloth and wipe my bunnies with that too.

I am very agressive with hair removal during the heavy shedding periods. The day before a show I make sure to thouroughly brush and try to remove as much dead hair as possible. Then, on the morning of a show, I do a less thourough brushing/washing.

It's a challenge to keep the shedding hair under control for sure, but worth the effort. I think it looks awful to produce a bunny and see fur flying everywhere.

It can also give away the secret to a production box. White hair all over a black vest or jacket is not good either. I use a lint roller on my box and I have another one for my clothes.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
A hair rake is the most efficient method of getting the hair out.
It's good to get all the hair out you can. When rabbits swallow hair,
they don't cough up hair balls like a cat.
Daniel Faith
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Indeed I understand they often ingest their hair and this can make them very sick if not attended to. My rabbit is a Dutch, a short-haired breed and I'm thankful for that. If you give them Doc's Rabbit Enhancer vitamins (Google online to get the Des Moines supplier which carries it in a 12 lb bottle), I've notices that they shed less and their fur gets a real sheen (I have no connection to the product - just recommending a partial remedy that works for me).
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Most rabbits shed twice a year in response to the changing seasons/change in daylight hours. Brushing and hairball preventative...lots of hay is the ticket.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Entering my first summer with my Dutch chocolate, I'm finding that Doc's Rabbit Enhancer has given her a sheen unmatched by most rabbits, and that she does not shed nearly as much (although the breed is known for being easy to manage).
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 11:43, Daniel Faith wrote:
A hair rake is the most efficient method of getting the hair out.
It's good to get all the hair out you can. When rabbits swallow hair,
they don't cough up hair balls like a cat.

Daniel makes a good point often overlooked my rabbit owners. A rabbit has NO mechanism for throwing or coughing ANYTHING up. Anything that goes into the throat MUST find its way out the other end. This is true of most grazers.

Bob
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
How about a Vacuum cleaner? Smile

I also use the metal brush you can get from a pet store, they do a very good job of removing the loose shed.

Don't forget to trim the nails, they need to be well maintained.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....