The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Quiet Chicks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Do baby chicks quiet down when they are loaded in the pan?
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
All birds abstain from making any sounds in the dark to help in their survival.
Bob
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
When I got to the fair I borrowed a chick that would fit in the pan and did a few test runs. The durn thing would not keep quiet! So I took it back and used the mouse I brought for back up. I usually use mice for this particular routine, but wanted to use a chick to tie in with the fair. I'll file this under lessons learned.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
466 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Ditto here. I used a chick for a dove pan production and the thing would not keep quite for nothing. I plan on going to the Magic Castle in a few weeks to see Johnny Ace Palmer. I hope he does his cups and balls routine and I want to see if the chicks are quiet for him. If so I would love to talk to him after his show and see what he did to quietthe chirpers.

niquel?
J/K
Shawn D
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Natural selection would seem to be the key! get a boxful and only keep the quiet ones, the peepers get to go into the barnyard and grow up for dinner!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
JMAC
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of JMAC
Is it safe to load a chick from your pocket?can the chick be hurt?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Because of the air holes on top, it is not really dark inside the chick pan. I spent some time inside one and discovered that you can darken it considerably, yet still insure a full supply of air, by painting the underside of the pan flat black and putting black electrician's tape over the holes in such a way that the air will leak out the sides, but no light will make it through.

In loading a chick from your pocket, the danger to the chick comes from jabbing your hand into your pocket and grabbing about for it. If you insert your hand slowly and feel gently about the pocket until you know what it is you are grabbing, you should not hurt the chick.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Shawn D I have seen Johnny Ace Palmer's cups and balls & chick routine many time when he performed it many year ago at the Magic Town House where I had work at the time, and knowing his routine I can say I did not hear the chick until he took them out of the cup and put into the KFC box, till this day I love his cups and balls routine and he is on my list of being one of the nicest guy to talk to.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
JMAC
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of JMAC
Thanks for the tip.
jmac