The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jay Sankey - The Art of Sleight of Hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I thought it wasn't a bad buy for $25 bucks. You get to see some routines performed and hear some lightweight magic chat. I think the bonus tricks are actually pretty good. Private Property is based on an Annemann thing. You can do miracles with it. And Locomotion, as Rik Brooks said, is a quick trick. I'm not sure why he wouldn't do it, because it's the type of thing that audiences love. It's completely inexplicable.

Locomotion story:

Last weekend I was closing a (non-magic related) deal with someone who has an interest in magic and knew I performed some. I told him to bring a new sealed Bicycle deck to our meeting and I'd show him something incredible. I rang in the Locomotion gaff, classic forced the ungimmicked duplicate, had it signed, then apparently moved the pip to the other end of the card. Gave the card to him to examine. It was his "freely" selected, signed card, permanently altered, from the deck he had just brought me. He flipped out. I had all the time in the world to steal out the normal card, leave him with the deck and the signed gimmicked card to keep. There is very little that is more powerful than that. (of course now I have to see if I can get some more of those cards from Sankey).
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 18:38, magicbern wrote:
In my opinion, I think Sankey was breaking new ground - kind of a departure from the usual show-and-tell format of DVDs (towards a more reality-based documentary format)> Whether he succeeded or not is subjective - however, I don't see anyone else trying this before or since.

What is quite clear from the contents of this CD is that Sankey was NOT breaking new ground in any significant way. The only thing that breaks new ground, perhaps, is the completely misnaming of the DVD: it purports to be about the art of sleight of hand, and isn't particularly, any more than most other instructional DVDs.

If you'd like a list of DVDs in which the magicians discuss sleight of hand in a chatty format, I can make you such a list (the Revelations tapes/DVDs are a terrific example; there are 17 of them). If you'd like a list of DVDs in which there are performance-only effects, that list would be extremely long. And there are plenty of tapes that do both at the same time: utilize an interview format to discuss performance and sleight issues, AND contain some performance-only material.

So what's so groundbreaking here?

--Josh
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I think jay sankey has some great effects and is clearly a good performer, however he releases so much rubbish so regularly that the gems are difficult to find.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Magicbern.... groundbreaking????
I hardly think so?
the performances certainly weren't,
the bits of chat weren't either
its called the art of sleight of hand....
the why ask them what the favorite sleight, magician is?
that's the sort of thing people put down for the signitures in forums like this
I could give a toss who they like best, and I didn't buy the dvd to find it out!
the bonus's I think were thrown in for "filling" purposes
yes, ring circus was a bonus item, on a great dvd, but that was a while ago..before jay started releasing dvd's every 6 weeks or so
behonest, it doesn't benifit anyone who want to improve their sleight of hand
and with a dvd titled this, what what else would you expect to get out of it??
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The bonus effects weren't new, but older effects that aren't big sellers.

I always like seeing Richard Sanders perform, so that was fun for me.

If a fellow Magi asked me if he should get the DVD, I'd say no, watch it at someone's house that has it.

It would have been best as a bonus DVD as part of a bigger package.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Neil, thank you for the review. On the basis of the feedback, I'll be skipping this offering.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
For some reason I think that I'll probably end up getting this DVD. I like Jay and have most of his DVD's. It would be a refreshing change of pace to get a DVD that isn't the mundane, ordinary trick-explanation, trick-explanation,.......
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Different, but not refreshing.........
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-08-19 15:09, matt.magicman wrote:
Different, but not refreshing.........

That's a perfect way to put it about this DVD. I guess I liekd that it was different.

Maforen
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Maforen
I used to like Jay's DVD's but you seen one you seen them all, He has little that is new. He put same stuff on most all of his dvd's.. I don't buy his stuff much anymore.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Its that good, that http://www.magictricks.co.uk are selling this DVD today for £4.99
maybe some kind hearted magician could buy the lot and burn them all.... forever
jayhoward
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of jayhoward
First off, thanks to all of you who took the time to review this. I was about to plop down $25 to buy it (none of the online magic retailers discount it, even though many other outstanding products are - maybe for the reasons magictricks.co.uk explained). If you discount the more extreme reviews on either end, those who truly liked it and those who thought it was absolute trash, it seems the general concensus can be summed up in two words - "nothing special." From that point of view, there's probably more worthwhile ways to invest $25.

Jayhoward
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay sent out his newsletter and made no mention of the DVD. he usualy says, about any product he releases, how fantastic the response has been. Not the case here.

I think if this was part fo a 2 DVD set and it a bonus, no one would have cared. They might have even liked parts of it. He knows it was highly disliked.

I liked seeing Richard Sanders perform, so I got something out of it.

Chris

Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
To be honest this is probably in the bottom 3 of the worst things ive ever bought in magic. Enough said. For any magician I cant see how this helps it sucks.

Sam
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Glad I stayed away from it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
paladin1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of paladin1
It seems from the first post that the information on the back cover was intentionally misleading.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
196 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Can anyones can tell me where can I get rhis dvd from ?