The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Jumping Gemini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
Hi,
Does anyone know where I can learn a packet trick called 'Jumping Gemini'?
I saw a video of it being done on http://www.magicvideodepot.com, and it looked really cool!
I do not know how most of it's done! Huh Smile ?
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
It's a trick invented by Darwin Ortiz and is in his book "At The Card Table," IIRC. You will also find it on one of the Ammar ETMCM dvd's. Thewre are loads of variants: Bob Kohler has a nice one called Thumping Gemini in some lecture notes.

It's not a massively difficult trick in itself: the sleights are internediate level. What I find tricky is keeping the rhythm going and the movement fluid; that comes with endless practice.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's in Darwin Ortiz's book "At the Card Table".

Your not supposed to know how it's done until you buy the book. Smile
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Are you talking about Darwin Ortiz's "jumping Gemini" I can't see the video where I am right now. If so, check "At the Card Table":

http://llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1906&

I hope this helps,

QH.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
After learning the original, you might wanna check out Greg Wilson's take on it. It can be found in his Double Take VHS/DVD as well is in one of his L&L DVDs set. Also check out Richard Sanders Super Cards DVD. It explains another very visual Jumping Gemini. Hope this helps Smile
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
M Ammar presents also one version of Jumping Gemini in his ETMCM, vol 6 I guess. It's a wonderful trick, very well structured.
Smile Smile Smile
micromega
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of micromega
Gregory Wilson has a great version on "Double Take". He calls it the 4 card trick
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
Flourishdude:

Just to make sure that you're not deceived about the trick, Jumping Gemini is performed with exactly four perfectly ungaffed cards (not even duplicates), and is not a "packet trick" that is sold separately. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this.

If you're used to performing packet tricks only, this may be a rather big jump into performing sleight of hand magic. An excellent trick to have in your repertoire, but takes quite a while to get it just right.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Georgef, quite right! It is a wonderful, but not so easy trick to get right. requires a bit of practice. This is a wonderful effect to get under your belt.

Well worth the practice to perfect this effect.

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Richard Sanders has one called "Super Duper Jumping Gemini" on his Super Cards DVD.
It uses a simular method as his "10" packet trick.
Easy to do.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
It's a great effect, if done properly. I recommend one slight modification of the original handling: Instead of showing four face cards at the end (usually the "4 Kings"), use blanks. If the idea of using blank faced cards detracts from the non-gaffed impact of this effect, jokers are just as powerful. Thoughts, anyone?
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I've never been a huge fan of this effect, but I do like Joe's idea of finishing with Jokers.

Have a couple of cards selected and then change the packet to identify the selected cards and explain that it works because jokers can stand in for any card...

Not bad Joe.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Not bad idea with the Jokers but you're losing, IMHO, one of the climax which is to show at the end 4 "different" cards. On my pattern, I say something like : and we have one red king, one black king, THE OTHER red king and at last THE OTHER black king.
With Jokers or blank cards, it may be more difficult to convince to have shown 4 different cards.
Smile Smile Smile
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
And with the double show you run the risk of a bridge player noticing the same suits showing up twice.

You makes yer choices and you takes yer chances...
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
I have HUGE problems with double-shows. I always catch it when someone does it. With Jokers or blanks, not only is there a stronger impact, but no one is going to catch the same card twice.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I agree with Mago that the climax really is about ostensibly showing 4 different cards (the 4 kings). I think if you say something like "we have four kings, here's one, two, three, and four" you are basically covered. You DIDN'T say they were all different, but 999 out of 1000 people should assume that they are the four kings, and the 1 out of 1000 should be at least suprised to see two double kings, and hopefully will not question it out loud given the quality of your performance and your likeability. Also, of course, the final shows should be done quite rapidly, which does fit the "flurry" of the presentation.

On a side note, I think the Flustration Count is where you are most likely to get caught, and I am amused by the guilty quick way Darwin Ortiz does it, which I think is wrong, if I may be so bold as to have an opinion about Mr. Ortiz and his card technique.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of PapaG
I often substitute The Rumba Count or Lennert Green's fantastic Swede's Deal for the Flustration Count. They are both more convincing.

I guess the issue of 'double-shows' largely depends on whether you are performing for a layman or magician.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Does anyone here substitute the Orion count for the Flustration count?
Magic is a vanishing art.