The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Best Thumb Tips ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
Fine thorough post, Mystician.

I've been playing around with the Hottrix thumb tip some more and just FYI: It's bigger than most TT's, but not awkward to handle (I have the hard tip), so it can hold a larger silk and more salt or water if you're using them. The silk vanish with a bigger silk has more impact, so the Hottrix gets the nod with that. Also, the more I check it out, the more it seems to be indesctructible--don't think you'll have to ever buy another one.

As for the realistic factor: There's a studio in California (don't know the name now, but have seen their website) who makes a custom TT and according to them it's indistinguishable from the real thing. It costs $100. Be that as it may, I'll still stick with the standard ones. I think a lot of concern about TT's not being realistic is misplaced. My main concern is working my trick (oops, effect) and then ditching the TT in a natural manner. And for that I believe our greatest strength is not the TT--no matter how realistic it looks or doesn't--but misdirection.

Also, sure, laymen know about TT's. . .sort of. But when you do your trick and do it right, you'll still be able to pull it off, I believe. I don't worry about it very much, because I seem to have had great luck succeeding with my bits. And I'm sure I couldn't fool a magician, but then again, I don't try to--how many magicians do we ever have in our audience? And if they are there and we do a good job, I think they'd appreciate that. I know I do when I watch other magicians.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
$100 for a thumb tip? I hope it comes with a DVD and 24-hour tecnical support.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Darwin Ortiz has some of the best thumb tips I've seen. His other fingers are pretty good too.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Ahhh... The thumbtip. My favorite gimmick (first magic item I ever got)

As a child,I really used that little device till it fell apart. I came up with dozens of tricks using the thumb tip, and its still my very favorite device. I have a huge collection of them, but I must admit I still most often use a vernet regular size or a vernet jumbo.

I also have the thumbs up tip. I have an eclipse tip, I have a flp tip, extreme close up workers tip, japenese tips, I have a steel tip, I even have a copper tip as well. All in all I'd say I have a box of 20 or so different tips.

I use different tips for different tricks. I don't feel one is best for everything.

Steven
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Heeeelp ! where can I get my thumbs on a japanese seo vinyl soft Salz thumbtip in EUrope ??

thanks
VG