The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: What is the most outrageous explanation for your trick said by your spectator? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
A person once told me they were not impressed with a magician's trick because they knew there was no way he could really be making an item disappear or whatever the scenario was. I thought that was a rather distorted view of magic.
Faizimran
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Faizimran
I did some tricks for a few kids and one of them thought I had a magic ring that had powers in it so I took it off and they said no the ring gives you power until you destroy it and they expected me to destroy my ring. And when I didn't they said see I knew it its a magic ring.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
Was doing a birthday show and the birthday boy said I was a demon...
Stumpy
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Stumpy
I did a couple g*ff card tricks and this woman was absolutely certain I was using telekinesis to physically pass the cards through each other...

On another occasion, at the first kids birthday party I worked (yeah, I know, working for kids is like herding a pack of wolves while wearing Milk Bone blue jeans) and I went through a typical card routine. I knew a great deal of the card tricks would be right at eye level for a bunch of kids so I chose the tricks I knew were as clean as I was capable of, you'd have to be a sharp cookie to see what was happening. This one kid, I don't know if he wanted to be a magician when he grew up or if he just read a lot of card magic books, but that little scamp never missed anything. Nothing got by him and he told his friend (the birthday boy) every single thing I did to do the trick, sometimes before I'd even do it. "Watch Billy, watch, he's gonna hafta carry that card up, watch, watch."

In comparison, at least with the woman who thought I was moving the cards with the power of my mind, I had it on my side that nobody took her seriously. With Little Mister Card Whiz, it was like performing with somebody on a PA giving play-by-play, lol. It's alright though, what better gift can a little boy get than a guided tour of a dozen different card effects?
That1MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of That1MagicGuy
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2016, AndreOng1 wrote:
Was doing a birthday show and the birthday boy said I was a demon...

How old was he?
Haha I have been called a demon many times especially late night performing to intoxicated individuals, they had the best reactions however.
Fazzio
View Profile
New user
Brazil
12 Posts

Profile of Fazzio
Chinese linking rings (normal size rings, not close-up)
"You put the unlinked rings up in your right sleeve and get the linked ones in your left sleeve".
This is incredible, because I always use rolled up sleeves.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
When producing a silk from a TT a kid was unimpressed and said "you have tubes in your arms"
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Howser
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Howser
While waiting for the coffee to pour I showed scarf through neck for a colleague
she grabs my wrist and with wide open eyes and said "did you hypnotize me?!?"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I do a simple drawer-box routine from which I produce Ember, my corn snake. One youngster approached me, convinced that I had that snake up my sleeve the whole time. I can't imagine either of us would be comfortable with that.

One of my favorites was when I totally messed up an OTL effect where the participant drew a picture of her choice (a snowman) and initialed her card. The intent was to make the snowman disappear, but due to poor instruction on my part, the initials disappeared leaving the snowman. She was still astounded, but figured I merely switched cards with one that was pre-drawn wanted to know how I influenced her into drawing a snowman. I smiled, winked, and let her believe I had that sort of ability.

I've also been accused of using heat-sensitive cards and the like, but my favorite (and most satisfyin) is when I've been accused of witchcraft.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Had a dad watching, he went away and used his cell phone, then came back and announced that I just did it by slight of hand. I hope he didn't tell to many other people.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm working on a "particle physics" explanation for the cups and balls using the Quark.

It's absolutely absurd, is beyond the grasp of most people who have better things to do than read about them, and would be a stupid explanation to anyone who has done even a cursory study.

I think it'll be funny, but I have a hard time these days remembering the varieties of quark...
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2020, ringmaster wrote:
Had a dad watching, he went away and used his cell phone, then came back and announced that I just did it by slight of hand. I hope he didn't tell to many other people.

Actually it would be funny if you had a patsy in the audience who would constantly be on the phone "researching" what you're doing as you're doing it and "calling you out".
Unfortunately I can't get anyone I know to be the heckler in the story of the day I met El Diablo... and that's only 2 questions, so I couldn't make the idea work.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
97 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2016, Faizimran wrote:
I did some tricks for a few kids and one of them thought I had a magic ring that had powers in it so I took it off and they said no the ring gives you power until you destroy it and they expected me to destroy my ring. And when I didn't they said see I knew it its a magic ring.

One ring to rule them all...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
David Williamson has a hilarious story about frying a spectator with one of his card routines and her attempts to explain things. It's near end of performance section in his Penguin Lecture. I can't do it justice, but if ever get a chance, watch it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."