The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: The Tricks in the Equation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When the presentation takes away the need or ability of the audience to "solve" it.

Quote:
Dai Vernon's presentation for Twisting the Aces has very little entertainment to it, if any, other than the impossible magical effect. It could almost be said to be a puzzle presentation, which is considered awful, and yet it works because the trick is unfathomable to a layman, and the effect is repeated several times.

Remove the magical effects from that and all that's left is the magician saying that a card is going to turn over.

Vernon did "Twisting the Aces" in the manner that he used, because he could not think of a logical reason to hold the cards in the standard Elmsley position. If you do the original Vernon routine correctly, you should never need to reposition the cards or your fingers after the twist.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16554 Posts

Profile of tommy
But don’t they always wonder how it was done? I’m not sure but I think I always wonder how it is done if I don’t happen to know. I don’t like being told the answer, like I don’t like to be told an answer to a question in a crossword puzzle but unlike a crossword I don’t like being able to guess the correct answer.
Isn’t magic without tricks like a crossword puzzle without clues. Blank!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy