The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Pre-Houdin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Antino
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Antino
Whats up Café,
Does anyone know of any available books/novels/manuscripts/scrolls/etc about the history of magic before Houdin? Thanks

A N T I N O
+ Cardinal of The House of Flying Cards magician troupe + +
http://www.freewebs.com/hofc
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
There was a great selection for sale on Ebay about 4 weeks ago. Many titles from the 1700's to 1850's. Although not history per se, they are history.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Try The Illustrated History of White Magic Before Robert-Houdin, by Fanch Guillemin. In addition, most general histories on magic contain plenty of history prior to Robert-Houdin (not Houdin). Clay
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Try the Christopher and Price books. The have material before Houdin.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Antino
View Profile
New user
South Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Antino
Thanks guys, by googling the authors and titles you gave me, I came accross a wonderful free e-book called The Lives of Conjurers by T. Frost, written in 1875.

I am trying to find The Annals of Conjuring, does anyone know of a web site where I can buy it from? Its not available on The Miracle Factory's web site for some reason. thanks
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Antino:

The Miracle Factory edition of Clarke's book is the best (largely due to supplementary illustrations and numerous appendices), but if the text of Clarke's original manuscript will suffice, try looking for the Magico edition of The Annals -- much less expensive than the Miracle Factory edition.

Clay
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Check out "The Illustrated History of Magic" by Milbourne Christopher. There are some really great pre-Houdin stories in there that are quite interesting.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Robert-Houdin, not Houdin! His full name was Jean-Eugene Robert-Houdin.

Regards,
Darcy
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Houdin works today. Robert- Houdin is soooo 1870's. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com