The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Stare-Down.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 16:35, Jaz wrote:
I had this happen once when doing an Okito Box routine one on one.
The guy just went into a trance and stared.
Nothing mentioned here worked. I tried talking to him and eventually just ended the effect early. This never happened before.

Jaz, that's exactly what this guy did....a dead trance...I guess either do self workers for this type, or nothing at all.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We are no longer talking about someone interested in figureing the trick out, we are now talking about a totally committed sports fan that must humiliate you in order to be satisfied. Those synics have no imagination, and should be avoided at all cost. As Adina on "Ab Fab" used to say "watch out Patsie we have entered the no fun zone"
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 19:37, joseph wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 16:35, Jaz wrote:
I had this happen once when doing an Okito Box routine one on one.
The guy just went into a trance and stared.
Nothing mentioned here worked. I tried talking to him and eventually just ended the effect early. This never happened before.

Jaz, that's exactly what this guy did....a dead trance...I guess either do self workers for this type, or nothing at all.....

:lol:
I never saw anything like this freak. The only way I might have got his attention would have been to poke him in the eye with a sharp stick!
I'm really not sure if he was trying to figure out the trick or what. That wasn't a concern. The concern was that for a few moments I thought the guy was dead or comotose. Weird!!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jaz when you threaten a macho wanna be his first instinct is jealousy. We would all be better off to consentrate our efforts on women and children who don't have any masculin foibles.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Al,
That was a rare case. The guy was a coworker that I knew quite well. He wasn't "a macho wanna be" or the jealous type. He just went weird on me. It was totally out of character for this guy.

I do try and read people before performing for them but the totally unexpected can still happen.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 10:44, joseph wrote:
How do you handle the spectator who stares at your hands ...

find out what you are doing to get them to want to stare at your hands.

or do they stare at everyone's hands?

(oops almost gave you a really obvious answer there but will give this much...hint: volunteer )
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I gave this bit of advice when a magician complained about kids grabbing his props and being difficult during set up and throughout the show!

Quote:
On 2003 -11-21 15:37, RandyStewart wrote:
A quick jab to the eye (any eye) and insist the unruly child threw himself on your stationary hand. They're usually too stunned to even cry - especially if school friends are attending "their" party - can't be seen crying in front of classmates.

Usually teaches 'em good.

Proceed with your miracles.

But seriously, must you perform for that guy all the time? Ever again? Forget that guy. I can think of a few good close-up effects that would go over well if the spectator were starring at just one spot all the time. Heck I could have an elephant walked in and stand behind him. Now if everyone you perform for does this then the problem is YOU. But you seemed clear that it is just this one individual.

If his habit is that chronic, share your wonderful talent with someone else. How many billions of humans did we have last count? Forget that guy. Oh and as he smugly walks away, pat him on the back telling him how sharp he is while sticking the "Please Kick Me Very Very Hard" sign to his back. Make sure to use a good quality packing tape.

If you're too mature for that approach then I suggest you do what I do. The only close-up effects I do (very very few actually) are 100% angle and full proof regardless of speed, skill, and how close the spectator insists on being. Some effects are not easily dissected and figured out no matter how they are presented. The world of magic is full of such tricks.

And finally, where do you have your hands while he appears fixated on them? It may not be your hands he's starring at.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a wonderful trick that I use for the "hand burners." Try this on your friend. It may, as we say in Texas, break him of sucking eggs.

Secretly reverse one card on the bottom of the deck. This should be performed with both of you standing face to face.

Explain to your victim that you have learned a way of telling every card you cut to. Then emphasize, "I never look down, always straight ahead." This will be your mantra for the whole thing. Look him straight in the eyes when you do this routine.

Hold the deck face down in dealer position in the left hand, about waist high. Cut off a packet of cards, and as you bring them up, tilt them slightly, so you can see the face of the bottom card, then swing the packet forward so the bottom card is facing him. Announce the name of the card. Put the cards back on top of the deck.

Repeat this, always reciting your mantra before you cut off a packet. Don't try to conceal the peek at the face card of the packet. You want the guy to figure this out. Pretty soon he will be dancing back and forth like a five year old who drank a two liter bottle of soda before he went on a 200 mile trip.

He will say, "I know how you do that."

Give him the cards, but turn them over so the bottom is now on top. The reversed card will conceal that situation. Tell him to remember, never look down, always straight ahead. When he swings the cards toward himself to look at the face card of the packet, he will see a back.

Enjoy!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com