The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Matchbox trick.. help (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Hello - I am looking for a trick where two matchboxes are placed together, the drawer of one is pushed in and then the drawer of the other comes out. This is done with the matchboxes separated too. The effect is similar to the chinese sticks/pom pom prayer stick.

Can anyone help?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
'Matchbox Mambo' may be what you're looking for.
Google will find it for.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
http://www.dannyarcher.com/matchbox.htm

Here is the inventor.

Oh, by the way, if you purchase this trick, like me, when you receive it and open up the package, you might say to yourself, "is this it?" But I really do like the effect.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
Tbaer, this is interesting....I bought mine HERE, and it lists a different inventor...hmmmm .. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-07-02 07:27, joseph wrote:
Tbaer, this is interesting....I bought mine HERE, and it lists a different inventor...hmmmm .. Smile ..

The description of this says that the boxes can be handed out for examination. That is not the case for the version I carried years ago.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Joseph, it says Matchbox Mambo comes with full illustrations by Tony Dunn at Elmwood Magic. It really doesn't state who the inventor is..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
There is another earlier version of this that I,ve used for years that is NOT examinable but very deceptive and easy to do.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
I just looked at my version, and it is called Maddening Match Boxes, by Chuck Gollas, and it is examinable at the end....so there must be several variations of this effect....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
Hope this helps...

This trick is of course a different handling and method of the classic effect Sympathetic Matchboxes. Matchbox Mambo can be done with any two standard matchboxes and can passed out for inspection at the end of the routine....which is not the case with the original.

Several years ago Danny Archer asked for my permission to market Matchbox Mambo with my personal handling. But the gimmick and boxes come from Chuck Gollas. Chuck originally marketed it under the name Maddening Match Boxes.

Danny wrote the patter and cleaned up Chuck’s somewhat cryptic original instructions. He also had Tony Dunn add illustrations, which make the entire effect much easier to learn.

In the last couple of years it has come to my attention that Bob Ostin was the originator of this gimmick. My name is connected with this only because of the current handling included with the product.

Best,
Paul Richards
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
Excellent....Thanks Paul....
Esoteric Faustini
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Esoteric Faustini
Hey, friends and neighbors. Sorry to bump an old post, but is it possible to get this currently?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2023, Esoteric Faustini wrote:
Hey, friends and neighbors. Sorry to bump an old post, but is it possible to get this currently?

The best version I have ever used is Sympathetic Matchboxes which is unfortunately unavailable now. The 2nd best I have used is Paul Richards "Clear Deception" which he sells exclusively at their Roadshow 1 Day Conventions. Unfortunately you cannot purchase Paul's online, only in person at the Magic Roadshow.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
128 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2006, Paul Richards wrote:

Several years ago Danny Archer asked for my permission to market Matchbox Mambo with my personal handling.

My name is connected with this only because of the current handling included with the product.

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2023, RNK wrote:

The best version I have ever used is Sympathetic Matchboxes which is unfortunately unavailable now. The 2nd best I have used is Paul Richards "Clear Deception" which he sells exclusively at their Roadshow 1 Day Conventions. Unfortunately you cannot purchase Paul's online, only in person at the Magic Roadshow.

Sorry to, once again, revive an old thread. However, I have recently become interested in this style of matchbox effects. I am wondering if Matchbox Mambo is the same as Clear Deception, but marketed differently? Or are they completely different? I recently obtained a Matchbox Mambo by Paul Richards/Danny Archer. Just wondering if I need to track down a Clear Deception as well.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Sorry I do not have matchbox Mamba but I did hear that clear deception was derived from matchbox Mamba so I'm pretty sure they are close in method. Though I think clear, deception builds a little bit on the method, making it a little more invisible, I think. I would reach out to Paul Richards on his website. I'm sure he will be able to answer your question.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Tenyo in 2008 make that effect, Synchro Box. Please see the link for details

https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......y-tenyo/