The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Subtrunk breakdown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
I think it is my time to build a subtrunk.. I've got Paul Osbourne's Illusion systems, 4 vols, and the Tarbel book, but I don't want to use any plans, I want to design one on my own. I had about 15 ideas. But here is my question:

How to make a subtrunk, that could breakdown for easy transport? What are the places, that I should make breakable?
I will use Top T***.

Everyone here seems to built one or more, hope someone can help me.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You can easily build it in six panels by using knockdown hardware like this:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=937-192

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I would be concerned that those wouldn't be strong enough for a subtrunk. Keep in mind that it says that the knockdown hardware is for shelves and cases that need to be taken apart. None of those have someone jumping on top of them like a subtrunk!

My subtrunk (a Chalet) is held together by a piece of aluminum alloy angle in each corner that is screwed to one side and bolted through the other. It's solid as a rock!

Michael
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thwy will work. I have built several illusions using these, and they are as strong as anything out there. Use three per corner and carry a rubber mallet so that you can knock the trunk apart.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
See, I hope to find a method with qute fast time for puting it together befora the show, 10-15 minutes..

I would not like to use bolts, but if I don't find something, I would use your method, Michael. How long does it take you to put yours together?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Michael's (Chalet's) is the way to go. I built mine the same way and when it's bolted together it's every bit as strong as it being glued and screwed together. As for time to set up, probably five minutes (and we've done it hundreds of times) and less to take apart. Get a pencil case and keep all the nuts and bolt in it with a rachet. Don't forget to get extra hardware in case you loose some.

John
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
John is correct about the time it takes. The aluminum angle stays screwed to the the end panels permanently. You just bolt the front and back to one end. The bottom slides into a routed dado in the side and front panels and then you bolt the other side on.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Those bolt-less corners look great.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Hey, thanks everyone. May be it is really the way to go... not sure still. Maybe. Thank you everyone!
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
May be someone can post their pictures of your subtrunk. I have checked numerous threads on the Café about subtrunks, watched photos. Will someone post more?