The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Homemade Paddles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Recently I've become obsessed with paddle tricks. Since I'm never content with something unless I can do it myself, I've started making my own paddles. While I'm eventually going to use some nice wood for these, I've found an excellent practice stock is paint stirrers from builders' supply houses -- and best of all, they're free! (Be nice, though . . . don't take them unless you're making a legitimate purchase . . .)

Between a coping saw, sandpaper, and a handheld grinder (to rescue bad cuts), I can turn out paddles at a respectable rate, giving me opportunity to try out various designs.

Does anyone else have experience making their own paddles? I'd be interested to know designs you've experimented with.

Cheers!
Keith
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there, give Chance wolf a shout. He released the most incredible paddle set to date in my opinion. Good luck Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nothing intricate but I once made a color changing pencil.
Using a small block of wood and thumbtacks I made a Hot Rod type thingy.

I can see using candies like Tic Tacs, M&Ms, etc, and then dumping them off the paddle as a give away.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have a couple of Walnut paddle things on my site.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I have made them out of craft stir sticks (medical tongue depressors). Look for those that are thicker.
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Brian: You can bet I found Chance Wolf's site! (In fact, I've briefly corresponded with him.) Actually, lusting after some of his creations (and seeing how out-of-budget they were for me) is one of the things that inspired me to try my hand at making some paddles.

Jaz: How exactly would I keep the candies on such a paddle? I like the idea (especially since I perform most of the time for kids), but I'm not entirely certain how I'd design a paddle to hold them.

Don: I like the tongue depressor idea . . . I ought to be able to come by some, since I'm at a medical institution . . . Though you rarely see thick ones these days.
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I confess, a friends Parrot gifted me with a nice tail feather, Amazon blue on the outside, and a red orange with black on the other, all set and ready made! The "Blue Bird of Happiness paddle!"
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Now that's entertainment! Seriously, though, I never thought about using a feather for as a paddle . . . I have some friends with various exotic birds. I'm going to have to see if I can come by one. Now, could I ask you about your "Blue Bird of Happiness" routine? How do you present it?
-Boris Pasternak

kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Think of that old Trini Lopez song- Yellow Bird! I mostly use odd bits about seeing red when mad or unhappy, and how looking at things differently changes your whole perception, or outlook. The flexibility of the longer feather allow you to give it a half twist in the hand so you get a slow motion transformation through your "fist" or closed hand too!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Okay, feather it is! I love doing magic with "non-magical" items. (You know, certain brands of chopsticks make for grand two-paddle routines . . . ) Now, off to the zoo!
-Boris Pasternak