The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Origami Luminaries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jasmine2501
View Profile
New user
Denver
1 Post

Profile of jasmine2501
I wanted to ring in on this for ya Doug. If you are interested in engineering, mathematics, fabrication methods, or biology, origami could be a great skill to have. Some of the principles of origami, including things like how to find a specific angle using only folds, are hot topics in engineering. Modular origami is sometimes used in mathematics to help visualise things - I'm making a series of regular polyhedra and buckyballs right now. If you've ever had Chinese takeout, you see the place of origami in fabrication methods (particularly for packaging). As an art form, it is particularly enjoyable for the artist, and quite approachable for the viewer. It is not a 'nose in the air' type of art, and doesn't require any special knowledge to enjoy. It is particularly enjoyable for children, especially if they are old enough to be taught the basic designs. Overall, the joy of origami is not monetary in nature, but some origami artwork is sale-able. I have several pieces which would get over 100 bucks if I wanted to sell them. There is a market for large modular designs as well.

I am working on the Origami section of my web site, and will be posting instructional videos on some of the new modular techniques, as soon as I get my camera figured out. I find that the existing state of origami information on the web is a mess. Lots of missing sites, broken links, outdated info, etc. I am working on rectifying that situation. There is not much on the site right now, but the link is on my hobbies page of my web site.

(FYI, some of the site is NSFK - gender issues and bad language)
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Joseph Wu
Eric Joisel
Robert Neale
Robert Harbin
Neal Elias
David Brill
Robert Lang
Paul Jackson
Peter Engel
John Montroll
Michael Lafosse
And others- sorry if I missed your name
Joseph Wu has an amazing website where he mentions
many other noteworthy folders
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
Joseph Wu made a tidy sum for the liquor ad he folded for several years ago. It was an extended international campaign. Check out his website!