The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Help...Math Smarties! RV Odds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18091 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Please help me figure the odds on getting either digit correct etc.
I'm ignorant.
See the experiment here.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Can you post a full description of the problem. the link didn't help...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18091 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There are three boxes...Each contain a two digit number 10- 99. You have three guesses( RV's).
What are the odds of hitting the exact numbers in the exact boxes?
What are the odds of hitting one of the two digits in each box?
What are the odds of hitting any of the digits in any box?
Those kinds of odds.
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Sorry dave it is not clear enough

if one box has 32 and you guess 23, does it consider you hit the digits? or position is also important. do you also need to have the raltive positions fit as well

another example:
boxes contain 23 45 57
you guess 25 is it 2 or 3 hits?
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's like this:

Assuming all three numbers are different, and discounting any possible "psychological influence" factors (i.e. "it's under fifty, both digits are odd, but they're different")...

>What are the odds of hitting the exact numbers in the exact boxes?

1/100 x 1/99 x 1/98 = 1 in 970,200

>What are the odds of hitting one of the two digits in each box?

The odds of hitting one digit in one box would basically be like two tries at a 1 in 10 chance. So it would be 2 in 10 (or simplified, 1 in 5). So the odds of doing that for all three boxes would be:

1/5 x 1/5 x 1/5 = 1 in 125

>What are the odds of hitting any of the digits in any box?

This depends on whether you're specifying the box or not, i.e. "There's a 6 in this box" vs. "There's a 6 in one of the boxes, somewhere." In the first case, there are a total of 2 digits to pick from, which means you've got two 1-in-10 shots, so the chances are 1 in 5. In the second case, there are a total of 6 digits to pick from, which means six 1-in-10 shots, so the chances are 6 in 10.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
idris
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
38 Posts

Profile of idris
Dave,
Are we guarenteed that the three boxes have different values? I would assume so but it can make a difference.

Quinn,
The numbers are from 10 to 99, not 1 to 100. So the first part would be 1/90 x 1/89 x 1/88 or 1 in 704880.

Haven't had time to play with the others yet. Nir's questions need answered as well.
Jerry
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18091 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I would think that the position would be important, but it would be nice to know the odds if simply the digits were correct....What if the numbers were reversed...etc...? Or the correct number in the wrong box?
Thanks
Dave

Posted: Jun 23, 2006 9:42am
-----------------------------------------------
Here's the results! The contents of the boxes were:
Gargoyle....Number 16....sixteen
The Angel....Number 22....twenty two
The Sarcophagus....Number 43.....forty three
In that order.....16,22,43
Here are some good attempts.
36, 12, 42 Kaytracy A correct digit in each number!
17, 26, 43 Harishjoe Off buy one, off by four and a direct hit!
13, 21, 34 Dr. Spector A correct digit in each number and the last one reversed.
Only seven or eight people sumitted their thoughts. To me this seems prety good. Is it?