The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Your Best Marked Deck Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
Hi Everyone!

I was just curious as to what everyone thinks are some of the better effects out there with a marked deck. I just got the Ultimate Marked Deck, which I love, and am looking for some good routines. Two of my favorites include:

Ted Lesley's "Spectator as Mindreader"

and

David Britland's "Zennerism"

Thanks!

Scott Kahn, MD
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
mergardmagic
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of mergardmagic
I don't know the exact name of it, but there is a Do as I do effect with a marked deck in "Hidden in Plain Sight" the book on marked decks. This is a diabolical routine, and it should be essencial for every marked deck worker.

Sean
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
The Lesley effect which is actually a very old plot is probably one of the strongest things you can do. Combining a stack with a marked deck can also be pretty heavy.

One of my favorites is found in John Luka's LINT.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I used it with the Whispering Queen when preforming for some magicians. Normally though, the Whispering Queen (see Ron Wilson's The Uncanny Scot) uses a stacked deck plus a glimpse, which is perfectly adequate for a lay audience. However, for magicians, I added the marked deck instead of the glimpse to provide an extra level of mystery.

I also used it successfully with the telephone gaff mentioned in the instructions. However, as I was working for friends and family, I could not signal the card by changing the name of the telephoned "medium." Instead, I developed my own signal with my son, Kevin, the medium.

I have the spectator cut to a card and place his hand over the card so that nobody can see it. Then I have another spectator call my son, Kevin.

The code I had to use with Kevin had to be so simple that he could not fail to identify the card. Thus, there are more direct methods available, but they would take longer to teach to my son, who might have had three or four beers before getting the call from a spectator. I told Kevin to answer each "yes-no" question with yes for the first, no for the second, and yes for each additional question. I also told him to select the middle item when more than one item is given for a selection. I tell the question to the spectator and allow the spectator to ask Kevin. The following are some examples:

Let's say the card is the Queen of Diamonds, the questions can be:
Is your card a red card? [yes]
Is it a heart [no]
Is it a face card [yes]
What face card is it [queen of diamonds--because the queen is the middle card]

Let's say the card is the five of spades
Is it a black card [yes]
Is it it a club [no]
Is it one of the lower cards, ace through nine? [yes]
What card is it? (five of spades--because it is in the middle of A-9

Let's say it is the King of Hearts
Is it a red card [yes]
Is it diamond [no]
Is it a face card? [yes]
Is it the king [yes]

Let's say it is the Six of Diamonds
Is it a red card? [yes]
Is it a heart? [no]
Is a one of the lower cards, deuce through ten? [yes]
What card is it [6 of Diamonds--because it is the middle card]

Get it?

Good luck.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5482 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Scott,
This same topic came up just a couple of weeks ago. Here's a thread you might enjoy...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=203