The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Sharpie-ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Has anyone seen this new Ring Flight style effect? I just saw the ad and can't figure out why this gimmick would be needed. Any insight?
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Who in every day life uses a funny looking key purse. many people carry pens with them, very good effect
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Bought it at blackpool. relegated to the bottom of the draw. I absolutely hate it. its not an impossible location compared to ring flight. anyone can get a ring on a pen clip. whereas a ring case is very impossible in the eyes of a spectator.
Justin Hepton
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, in the UK
136 Posts

Profile of Justin Hepton
Steve,

I read your post with a little concern, as I have just bought this effect and have yet to receive it. I see the impossibility of the ring "appearing" on the clip of the pen and the impossibility of a ring "appearing" on a key clip as very similar. They are both away from your hands in a pocket, and the only time you go near them, is to retrieve the key.

I am however, not a "working pro" so I cannot attest to the vailidity of the above, feel free to let me know how you feel? I don't want it to end up at the bottom of my drawer either!

Justin
"After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

- Italian proverb
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
My thought on it is that I can easily duplicate the effect through pure sleight of hand and misdirection. The reason it's not going to be as impressive as the classic Ring Flight is because Ring Flight ends with the ring hidden behind a lot of keys inside of a sealed wallet. This ends with the ring hidden on something in your back pocket that's just hanging there.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Ok for traditionaists could be done to a pen cap in a bunch of 10 others with an elastic band rount them. my opion is I will continue to use this and you boys keep taking the funny looking purse out your pockets.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
At the same time, who carries a top hat, livestock, 4 wallets, 8 half dollars, 4 decks of cards, a wallet with random cards in it, smoke machines, lighting equipment, markers, 3/4s of an office supply store, etc... other than a professional magician? We're expected to carry some things that you don't normally see. The classic version uses a wallet that holds your keys. I know people that use those to keep certain keys seperate. What about metal card clips. I know people that swear by them, but you will never see a laymen carrying one around.