The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Close up fire? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Hi Are there any devices that can be used in a close up situation? And possibly one that can sustain a flame for longer than a second or two?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Other than a candle, I can really not think of any off hand.

What size flame, and what purpose would there be, to hold the fire for a longer time than a flash?

Generally close-up and fire (particularly flash-fire) don't mix as the risks are far too great. Hair Spray, and numerous other
"beauty products" are flammable, and shirt sleeves and ties (If anyone still wears them) can go up like Roman candles.

I find that a brief flash (at a distance) if sufficiently amazing to serve the purpose of misdirection or a show of "skill".

So I would consider carefully the need for fire closeup and for the sustained flame you seek.

When I get them all close in, and need a
"flash", my FISM FLASH goes off, and they will all swear they saw a puff of smoke!

What effect do you want? And what is the best way to acheive it? If it takes fire close up, I would consider looking for another effect.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Well, I was thinking of any small flame, like a candle actually. Perhaps one that could sustain long enough to light a cigarette or burn a bill.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
How about a match pull, a cigarette lighter, a book of matches, Auto Matchic, or the self lighting cigarette??
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I saw a wand lighter on one of the online stores. I was thinking of getting it so that I could have a multi-use flash igniter that looks like a magic prop. Right now I just use a lighter to ignite my flash paper (Not very magical I must say)

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
I use Fickle Fire. I reach inside my jacket with my left hand; it comes out ablaze and I put the fire in my jacket pocket. I act surprised that this fire is in my jacket. It gets a good reaction from the spectators. Smile Smile
Izzy