The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Strange and Suitable Feats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Is Philadelphia's "Little Treatise on Strange and Suitable Feats," 1774, available in print or online?

I'm combining magic with 18th Century historical re-enacting and think that a source like this could be helpful.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Did you check Learned Pig or Lybrary.com?

This book is not listed in Toole-Stott, so it may be very difficult to find.

You might consider the 1763 edition of The Whole Art of Legerdemain in Perfection or Hocus Pocus by H. Dean. It is very similar to Hocus Pocus, Jr., but the cups and balls section isn't as good.

Also Sports and Pastimes would be good. You can find these at your college libraries, but avoid using the on-line versions. See if you can find them on microfilm. The on-line versions tend to leave out pages.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Thanks yet again for more help, Bill.

Lybrary doesn't have it or The Whole Art. There are only three pre-1800 books listed.

I hadn't tried again with Learned Pig, because I don't do cards and the question for entry was a Four Aces method. (I've since found that "Henry Hay" gives about seven or eight methods in Cyclopedia of Magic, so I guess I'll use one of those to become a member of Learned Pig.)
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green