The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Splitting cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Firedice27, do you split cards wet? All I have ever done is dry splitting. How are the results? How do you dry them and prevent warping?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
They seem to split way easier after soaking them. Also once I cut and glue however I want them, I press them in a hugh stack of books for at least 24 hours. I imagine that a deck press would be even easier, but I've yet to buy one of those.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I can split 'em ok - Magic Mike gave a great lecture on it at our IBM club - but I do have trouble regluing them. I think I may be overdoing it with the spray adhesive (cement) and they curl up too much, even after being pressed in a book.

I desperately want to perform Aronson's Ad-jacent, a great stab effect.
tjo'
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Scafidi7, have you tried plain rubber cement? A tin coating on both sides allowed to dry to the touch, then pressed together. The excess cement is easy to remove with a little finger pressure.
H_Ho
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of H_Ho
I found out that even new cards are hard to split. No, I didn't ruin my brand new deck of cards. It was an advertising card.

Or maybe I am splitting the cards using the wrong technique....ok it's time for more practice.
Catmouth
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Catmouth
WOW the tutorial makes it look so easy. opening another pack......
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Dang Firedice27, I thought I was the only one who stumbled upon the secret of soaking the cards first.

What I've noticed is that used cards *are* much better than brand new ones for splitting wet.

Soak the card in hot water and in exactly 10 minutes it'll be zillions of times easier to split! If you soak it longer, eventually the card's corners will start to split *themselves*!

Hope it helps...

Also, I found that glue sticks work better than rubber cement -- the elasaticity of RC can sometimes cause the card to warp...

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
.... no problems (I mean NONE AT ALL) concerning the size; a soaked&glued cars vs. a regular card?

Just a question...
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
Speaking of splitting cards, David Regal has a cool trick on volume 2 of his dvd series: Power. Unfurtunately, the name eludes me... It uses the idea of splitting cards in a unique and clever way.

P.S. Thanks for all the suggestions, I can finally split the cards without much trouble.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Martini magic sells a 22 page booklet on splitting cards for $10.

http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html