The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Sylvester-pitch 98 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
MY COMMENTS:
this move is taught very well by Dan and has great editing and quality considering it is 8 years old now.i loved the pitch and it was a little easier for me because I do some juggling and I can do many one handed flourishes in each hand but still needs practice. first off the pitch is very hard to master but when perfected you can produce about everything.the entire video is focused on the pass and is taught well by the originator.to start you learn Dan's way of producing coins and retension pass.after he shows the basics of those moves he teaches you the pitch which he demonstrates a full close-up miser's dream routine and you get to see his sound vest.there are 3 variations on the tape and he shows how to produce any large object that can be stolen from the body(egg plants,jars,jumbo coins,ect.).i liked how Dan had a great sense of humor and adds a lot of phycology to the move.the bonus was a visual impromptu ring flight on your finger that will be a addition to my show.
HERE ARE THE ROUTINES TAUGHT:
earwax pays:great for stand-up
invisible coin:great coin opener
coin through hand:a very clean variation.
coin through victim:same as above but through a spectators hand.
nosey coin through face:a nasty effect where you pernitrate your cheek.
scared coin:unless your double jointed,a joke.
raving?:a coin vanish if you can do scared coin.
coins AX:visible coins across with a extra coin.
sounds familliar:how the pitch can use sound.
mega vanish:a mutiple vanish and reproduction that is great
VERDICT:
the video was a complete course on the move and was well thought out and I had no questions at the end.i think the video should be DVD by now but the move alone and seeing Dan's human cartoon act was worth the price.this is a gem that every great magician shold have.GET A COPY!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thanks for your review of this often reviewed tape and "move".

You might want to try the Search Function on the topic. You will find various discussions about the Pitch and its many uses plus a comparison between an early version and later version of the tape. I believe that you will find about 15 pages of threads discussing this.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Fine move- looks like real magic in Dan's hands- and a fine teaching tape. I was present at the taping of the first version of the tape and sitting in right in front of Dan I could not see anything that I wasn't supposed to. He absolutely blew away the entire audience of jaded, cynical magicians. They weren't nearly as impressed with his production of a real anvil from his hat (i), a reaction that seemed to irritate Dan a bit, but I think they were still reeling from the Sylvester Pitch. I was impressed with both the anvil and the Pitch.

The only time I've seen magicians more flummoxed was at an incredible lecture from Juan Tamariz where at one point Richard Kaufmann leapt spontaneously to his feet and, somewhat injudiciously, exclaimed "Holy sh*t!"
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
LOL,i wish I had seen that!the move is truely magicaly if you put the work into it,its one of those moves that is very flexible and creating routines for it is childs play.this is my oppinion but,im glad that not many people put the work into the pitch so that it will be one of those not-so-often seen moves that few can accomplish(no offence).
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I should mention that that anvil in question was actually way bigger than his hat, yet it honest to gosh looked liked he pulled it right out of there! He left it onstage after his act so everyone could see that it was the real Mc Coy.

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
WOW,it sounded gimmicked at first!
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
There is a gimmicked lightweight anvil on the market, this was not it- it must have weighed at least 40-50 lbs, maybe more. I hope he tips the work on that production someday-the effect has really stuck with me.

kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
There is a gimmicked lightweight anvil on the market, this was not it- it must have weighed at least 40-50 lbs, maybe more. I hope he tips the work on that production someday-the effect has really stuck with me.

kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I have to edit my previous post about Richard Kaufman. He actually sent me a friendly email asking me to remind him of that event. When I tried to recall the event again, I realised that the memory had somehow morphed over time. What really happened was after Tamariz fried our collective neurons to a crisp, he sat up in his chair and exclaimed "No!" in a loud voice. Somehow, probably due to being impressed that he too was badly fooled, it morphed over 15 years into the version I told above. It's embarrassing, really- I honestly thought that that's what actually happened until I searched my memory a second time.

Richard was very gracious about it when I explained and didn't ask me to post this correction even though I offered. I just felt it was important to correct the record. I also realize that probably nobody really cares, so I thank you for indulging my need to clear my conscience.