The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Hypothetical Powers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
It sounds all very clever until you look at what so called brain experts actually do with people with a brain problem.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 09:48, tommy wrote:
It sounds all very clever until you look at what so called brain experts actually do with people with a brain problem.

But how to look at?.. Would that be with remote viewing? an egg to take away the curse? A dog to sniff out the cancer?

More people have MIND problems than brain problems. Not so much is known about the brain at this time. The mind... is more accessible as it's a construct.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Any one with a teenager will vouch for that, Jonathan.
All the brain needs is fat, water and try to avoid hard knocks.
POOF!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Not so much is known about the brain at this time. The mind... is more accessible as it's a construct.

Can't agree with you on that. The brain is much more accessible than the mind in the physical sense; But that doesn't mean that mind is a construct; rather it is the interaction and communication of the brain and the rest of our perceptual apparatus. Mind is a system, from which new properties not inherent within any single part of the system can arise.

If psi powers exist, then they are a function of the mind, not just the brain.

"Paying attention" is an action of the mind not just the brain.

Jack Shalom
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
All natural things, whether "good" or "bad" have an effect in this system. There was a story where a man wishes that there was no more death. The God listens to him and suddenly people stop dying. First famines break out. You can imagine the rest.

There is no such thing as good or bad in nature. You kill someone. He dies. You eat an animal or a plant, hit a fly, they die too. You get infected, you die. It's an endless race to exist.

As magicians we hope to rise among our own fellows for respect. Or better yet to amaze them and make them happier.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-05-18 23:01, Patrick Differ wrote:
Here's an old answer.

I would do the 21 Card Trick. Except I would use real magic. I would do Hot Rod, but I wouldn't use that silly force. I would do Cups and Balls, but would use one less ball.

If I were to wake up tomorrow with real magical powers, I would probably end up changing the very balance of the universe itself before lunchtime. And I'd start with free beer for everyone. Woot! Woot!

This reminds me of the Three Wishes plot. Be careful of what you wish for. You just might get it.

Have you ever seen John Cornelius do the 21 card trick? He doesn't even need to ask which row the card is in. He knows instantly.

Hot Rod without the force is possible.

Ken Brooke published a cup and ball routine with three balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com