The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: UF Grant's "Cow Trick" (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
When I started this thread a while back, Spellbinder really helped me a lot as I was trying to build a good version of this trick. So I just wanted to say a public "Thanks"!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I stumbled across this older topic while searching for something else U.F. Grant related ... I realize this is an old topic, but just in case anyone wanted to see what this trick looks like , here is U.F. Grant performing it. (this is from a series of demo films Grant made on 16mm film and would send out to magic clubs to show at their meetings, as a way of generating interest in his latest offerings. There was ,of course, no YouTube or internet in those days, but many organizations did have 16mm film projectors, so this was a way to present a "dealer lecture/demo" remotely.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoaQdseZZ0

*TIP: When U.F. Grant originally made these demo films shot on 16mm film , the standard filming and projection speed for silent 16mm film was around 16 -to - 18 frames-per-second. But standard sound film running speed is 24 frames-per-second (or for NTSC video it is "29.97 frames-per-second") , so when silent films that were shot at 16 fps are played back at the higher frame rate the movement looks too fast. To slow down the movement to normal speed click on the little gear icon (Settings) at the lower right corner of the video and select Playback Speed. Set the playback speed to 0.75 (or in some cases set it to 0.5) to see it playback at a normal speed , not so fast and jerky. (unfortunately this also slows down any music or sound effects that have been added to the silent film, so the music will seem draggy , however, I'd rather turn the sound down or off to be able to view the movement at normal speed. Actually, on this one the music track doesn't sound too bad at the slower speed, but I just thought I'd mention it. This is a useful tip for viewing almost any old silent footage of magicians you might see on YouTube , because almost all of those clips were shot at the silent film speed of 16 frames-per-second , so the movement always looks too fast and jerky. To see them as they really would have moved , slow down the playback speed to 0.75 or 0.5)

Click here to view attached image.