The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Showtech Remote Control feature (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
The ankle switch doesn't serve me well during performance.

Here is how I use it now, but sometimes it's still hit or miss.

Strap the magnet to the inside of the right wrist and then strap the RC to the waist positioning the RC to the right side of the body.

Any ideas on how to improve this process would be greatly appreciated or PM me.

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I had a bit of difficulty as well when I first began using the ankle switch. It's like learning a new sleight or routine, you need to practise. If you haven't done that, I suggest you give it a try. It's important to position the magnet and RC in the same place everytime you put it on. This worked for me.

If you're still unsuccessful with having it on your ankle, I don't see anything wrong with having the nagnet on your wrist and RC on your waist. The same rule applies, just rehearse with it until you get it operate consistently.

Hope this helps. good luck with it.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Mike,

I too had the same problem with the ankle remote. Most times it worked fine, but it was the occasional time that the music started "accidentally" that bothered me. I did away completely with the ankle switch. I keep one remote in my jacket or pants pocket. The other one is strapped to the inside of my right wrist(like a watch). By bringing my hands together, my left thumb starts/stops/advances the music. Works really we'll.

John
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
The main problem with the ankle switch is that for some reason the Showtech resets itself to back to the beginning of the track instead of advancing to the next track. This is not something that can be controlled through sleight of hand skill. Never have this problem when using just the remote control.

I will try John's method with the wrist using the thumb to control it and see how it works out.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Mike,
I have never used the ankle switch - I always felt wierd - it always looked as if I had to pee ! Smile
Here is what I did....
I simply made a small pocket for the remote and placed it at arms length on the inside of my coat - I now have all my coats custom made when overseas so it is just a part of the process - I just have to reach down and use my fingers - with a little misdirection as well as practice - I have had other performers ask me how in the hell I was controling my music and cues.
Hop ethat helps !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Mike,

For starters, I will say that Kline's handling of his remote in his jacket is effortless and I have seen him perform many times with it. If only I could afford those international tailors he has on retainer......

But I also concur with what Doug said. With just some practice, the ankle remote can become your best friend. When I first got my Showtech, I tried the ankle remote on once and felt like Dorothy clicking her heels to get home to Kansas and put it away. About two years later, I got the great opportunity to watch Kerry Pollock do his full hour comedy club act and he killed with his music cues. In talking with him afterwards, he really told me that I was missing out by not working with the ankle remotes. He actually wears two...one for the showtech and one to trigger his lie detector. I came home and had to dig to remember where I put the ankle remote.

I now use them in every show. My wife is a choreographer and we watched tapes of my show and worked it out so I now use my ankle remotes and you could never tell. No awkward clicking or squeezing of the legs together. Makes it so nice to be able to trigger effects with my hands completely free and able to handle props. I got so used to using the ankle remotes that I have to now upgrade my Showtech because my stand-up act uses all 50 tracks. Work with them for a while, and they become second nature. It actually helped me learn how to stand and move on stage, because now (and I am sure some of it just comes from performing frequently) I don't even stop to think most of the time "time to trigger the music." It happens second nature by how I am moving on stage.

PM me if you have any questions.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 17:33, Michael Dustman wrote:
With just some practice, the ankle remote can become your best friend.

The main reason I don't like using the ankle switch is as I stated previously. Using it sometimes throws off the programing of the Showtech, sometimes resetting it to the beginning of a track instead of going to the next track. I just don't like having to interrupt my show to put the Showtech back on it's correct track.

I never have this problem when just using the remote control manually.
Mike Perrello