The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Jumbo Card Handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I have been unable to locate a book/resource that covers in any detail how to handle jumbo cards. Obviously the ideas are the same, but the execution would be completely different. Is this a work that still needs to be done?

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
There is a DVD put out by CAmirand Academy called Jumbo card Manipulations by a FISM winner named Cyril HArvey. It covers steals, palms etc and is very thorough.
http://www.camirandmagic.com
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Thanks for the lead--this looks like a good start.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Wow, I was going to ask almost the very same question. Thanks Magicbern for the info.

Steven
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
You're welcome - its not a very well-known DVD but I find its excellent for Jumbo Cards. It also has regular card handling techniques. Also the best Jumbo Card routine (Stage) I've seen is by the Japanese magician Makho Tendo - but I dunno if he has anything in print or on video that is in English.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I have a new effect that I am putting into my new kids show that deals with jumbo cards. I am a total clutz when it comes to working with them in any way other than just showing the deck to be normal. I really need to learn to use them because I need to do some slights with them. The show is in the building stage right now so it is not like I need to learn them this week. I just need to learn a good way for me to bring a selected jumbo card to the top of the deck. I will check out the video now for sure.

Thanks
Steven
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Does anyone know where you can find good jumbo cards?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
El Duco has some great jumbo cards. They're not as large as Bicycle Jumbos, but the El Duco indexes are HUGE! You can see these in a 1000 seat auditorium.

If you're tempted to use Jumbo Bicycle decks, for the sake of the large indexes, why not just use the jumbo index Bicycle 88s? The indexes are the same size and they handle like a regular Bicycle poker deck. That's what I use on stage.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I noticed Richard Osterlind also use a regular size bicycle cards but with large indexes in ETMMM. I have never seen one sold in the stores though.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-06-04 11:32, evolve629 wrote:
I noticed Richard Osterlind also use a regular size bicycle cards but with large indexes in ETMMM. I have never seen one sold in the stores though.

Here in Michigan, Bicycle 88s are plentiful. If the store sells Bicycle 808s, they probably sell the 88s.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Jose de la Torre put out several jumbo card effects, including the handling of sleights/counts, in his "Magicana of Havana." You can find it here - http://www.mymagic.com/delatorre.htm
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
kimwizard
View Profile
New user
Muscatine, Iowa USA
48 Posts

Profile of kimwizard
http://www.lybrary.com/magic-with-giant-cards-p-307.html
Magic with Giant Cards by Fred Castle
All I know about the book is what is on the website.
Five dollar PDF download.

Best,
Kim