The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Starting with coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of gink103
Ok I'm mostly a card magician and I do a few coin tricks. I want to start doing some coin magic to add to my table hopping and want to know where to start. I just ordered bobo's modern coin magic and am waiting for that but I'm not sure if that has actual routines or just sleights. Any recomendations on dvd's would be appreciated.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
If you are just starting out, I would highly suggest any of three videos:

Michael Ammar's Introduction To Coin Magic DVD
David Stone's Coin Magic DVD
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy videos
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Vaderbreath
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Vaderbreath
I agree with Godhandz. Michael Ammar is an outstanding teacher, and Roth is simply amazing with coins. I haven't seen David Stone's dvd, but I'm sure it's fantastic. I recently picked up Stars of Magic 8 (I believe it's #8...it's the first of the two David Roth Stars dvds), and it is full of great routines and sleights...but not necessarily for a beginner. Once you've mastered the classic palm, check out the Stars of Magic dvd. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

-Corey
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Gink,

Modern Coin Magic contains sleights and simple tricks as well as more complicated routines. It begins with concealments and vanishes and works you up to the more difficult stuff.
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
I used a combination of Bobo's + David Roth's series
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
I started with Bobo - and REVERTED to Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic. I highly recommend Ammar's video. It is filled with knowledge and advice that is indespensible.
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
Do a palming and some false throwing and you will soon be a coin magic man of fantastic reputation.
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Since you already ordered Bobo's (good idea!!!), you should ignore all this advice and concentrate on reading the book and learning. You will have plenty of time for more modern stuff, but you should learn the basics first.

Have fun learning.

Craig
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I have Bobo's, but I think I could still benefit from a good dvd. Thanks for the suggestions!
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I too started with Bobo and it was a big mistake. The information on sleights is really awful (poor diagrams and explanations even for the time of original publication). I then went to Roth's tapes, with back up from Ian Kendall's Basic Coin Magic CD - both of which are excellent. You may not like Roth's style or the routines that are taught, but you can see a master at work and marvel at his timing, grace of movement, and technique.
I think Bobo is not for beginners. When you have the basic sleights mastered then Bobo would be a useful resource for routines (and it is cheap too).
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Idis agree. I started and fow quite a while just had Bobo's, and I think it is a great book. It never did me any harm, and can do a great deal of good for most people who read and think about it.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's interesting how some authors are easier to read by some folks than others.

The only small problem I had with Bobo's is that I didn't get the full idea of what the timing and a routine should look like.

I hadn't see coin routines performed back then and only had an idea what the magic should look like.
Watching a couple of coin videos definitely helped.
Once I saw a good coin worker in action I understood much better.
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of levitate
Bobo's is the best place to start - its where I started as well. Coin magic felt very akward to me at first (I also moved from cards), just give it some time and learn all the basic concealments and vanishes and things will start to come together.

Good luck.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 16:55, gink103 wrote:
Ok I'm mostly a card magician and I do a few coin tricks. I want to start doing some coin magic to add to my table hopping and want to know where to start....

Are you looking to impress audiences with skill(z) or offer them magic?
If looking for the magic, check out Andrew Galloway's new book.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Who's selling Galloway's book? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere (H&R, Hank Lee, Magic Café).
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
When I first got Bobo's I was quite despondent as I found the backpalm and edge palm
really hard and these sleights are mentioned a lot in the first chapters.
But if you can get a grasp of classic, finger, thumb palm, and utility switch, then
go the "Quick Tricks" chapter there is plenty there to get started.

The Roth ECMME dvds are excellent as well, great effects that are do-able with a reasonable amount of effort.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Galloway's book can be found at http://internationalmagic.com/ check the book catalogue....