The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Assortment deck woo!...erm, now what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
akumasan42
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of akumasan42
Okies, after putting down some hard cash (and travelling 400 miles round trip) I've bought myself a special assortment deck from my "local" magic emporium. And now, in the cold light of day, I'm thinking "what the hell can I do with these things?"
I've got all sorts of nice double facers, double backers (blue/blue red/red red/blue and the ever popular blue/red) and blank facers/backers etc.

Is there anywhere I can find a nice source of inspired ideas for said gimmicks? Or could people point out some nice effects that I could use them for? I know a few; Sankey's slipstream and one off of Secret Files, I'm going to give Shoot Ogawa's Anniversary Salsa a try once I get some of the moves down, and I'm going to try and put together an NFW, but any other ideas or points in the right direction would be helpful. At least until my brain decides it wants to start working again.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Check out Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks... there are separate chapters on tricks with double backed and double faced cards.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
Daniel Garcia has a nice routine requiring one double backer, it's on Vol 1 of his Project set, I think.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Use the aces for "Macdonald's Aces" in "Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic" (Vernons Inner Secrets Trilogy L&L Pub.) I second NeoMagic's suggestion of Hugard's classic Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. Nice ideas in there because it's such a good platform to "spring off" from and create your own stuff.
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I got a couple of these decks just to have handy when I come across items in books that call for particular gaff cards (most often double facers or double backs). I have already used up 3/4 of a deck this way. Many great ideas from Alex Elmsley, among others, and if you put your mind to it you can come up with some nice card warp variations. I also use them for creating gaffs that would normally require multiple splits. I can create the same gaffs with about half as many splits now, and the finished product doesn't look quite so butchered.
Chris Jenkins
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Chris Jenkins
Phil Goldstein's 'Focus' has a considerable collection of packet trick effects, many of which require gimmicked cards. I know this went out of print for a while but I think it has since been re-published.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
I'm sure you'll find many within the Café but here's a collaboration effort that started with a neat trick Daniel Garica gave us last week. Daniel's version is without a gaff but read the entire thread. You'll read where a gaff can be used. Good luck.

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida

Go TO: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=46
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Check out Jim Sisti´s latest "Talk About Magic":

"THE MAGIC MARKER: The selected card turns into the birthday card or any other card for a special occasion. Jim talks through Dennis Carroll's routine and handling to create magic customized for the event."

http://allmagic2.com/talkaboutmagic/

You will need a DB and a BB. Nice effect.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
The possibilities are limitless:

Double Facers - Anniversary Waltz by Doc Eason
Blank Facers - Now Look Here by Chad Long
Double Backers -