The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Magic Video Demos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey everyone,

Just expressing my opinion here...

I just find it a huge buying turn-off when people who invent tricks decide to make a really bad demo video (looks rushed to make) to give the effect to the customer. For me, seeing this type of thing over and over (replaying) can help me decide how the trick is done.

You have to logically think magicians who invent these tricks make a video to further their profit. But for a majority of tricks, depending on how well it is performed on the video, can actually decline total unit sales.

Having a background in both business and magic, adding a demo can be a HUGE factor into total unit sales, but in a magic world, perfection is key.

Any further opinions and comments welcome!

Thanks,

Evan Morgan
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I have wondered this myself. Having been absent from the magic field for about 13 years, the whole video thing was new to me. If they had this when I was a kid, I would have saved a WHOLE lot of money!

On the other hand..... SEEING some of these awful demo videos if folks STILL buy the item then I would hope they would be more satisfied with the end purchase.

Same reason I offer fairly large free samples of all of our books. They give people enough of an idea of what the book really is or is not, so that they can make an educated purchasing decision.

I am not CERTAIN however, if that is what they intend from many of the bad videos- I think they are just bad videos. Smile
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
I agree but I think it is a pity that some can't spot a rough diamond when they see one.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Any other opinions?
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Videos are not what sell me on a product, there are far more factors to consider in the purchase of a magic trick than whether or a not a demo is good or bad.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
Well you have to consider that it is a demonstration, not necessarily a performance. Not that that is an excuse, but, as a magician, you should be able to see the merit, or lack thereof, by seeing an effect presented to you in the most minimal of ways. It's your imagination and creativity that breathes life into these effects.
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
In general, a demo video is just like a demo at a brick and mortar magic shop. Its main purpose, in my opinion at least, is to show you the basics of a trick without teaching you the secret behind it, just to give you some basic idea of whether the trick is something you want or not. It's really just a nice, extra service they're offering you, vs. just having you read the description of it.

In magic shops, the owner has a huge collection of magic effects and it's nearly impossible for him/her to master every one of them, so it's understandable that if you point to a trick and say, "What's that one do?" or "Show me that one!" the owner may not have the absolute best presentation of it. Same is true for some online shops, like Penguin Magic for example.

One interesting thing the O.P. mentioned, though -- trick INVENTORS doing shabby performances of their OWN tricks. I can't say that I've seen anything specifically like this, so my comments here on out should be taken with a grain of salt. But again, the purpose is not to ENTERTAIN you with the demonstration but to INFORM you of the basics of the trick. So it sounds like technically it's getting the job done. Should they put more time and effort into it, if it's a trick they came up with? Sure. Does it detract from the overall image of the trick? Not in my mind, but I'm not the only magician out there ...
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
IMHO if an inventor of a magic trick cannot perform his own inventions well then what kind of message does that send to someone looking to purchase the product?

To me the message would be "Hey this is a good trick but not worth my time to perfect it. And obviously I'm not doing this trick for my real performances, as you can tell by my demo."
Magic is a vanishing art.
Gregory The Great
View Profile
New user
Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Gregory The Great
I think edh is correct, (((rushed.))) I don't understand it myself.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16556 Posts

Profile of tommy
I may not be able to do it anymore but I can still teach it!

Vernon said that and was quoted by Zarrow on his great DVD. I think it's a bit shallow to look at teaching stuff based on the performance.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Thanks for the above comments.

What really boggles my mind is the fact that most of the "instant downloads" on penguin magic can be figured out. Instant downloads are tricks that can be done with items found around the house. All you have to do is find a logical explanation. Replaying the video, and catching moves when the camera zooms in when it is not necessary. This has saved me a LOT of money.

Very controversial topic,

Evan
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My Wife who is NOT a performer nor does she have a background in magic (I did buy here a little magic set a couple of years ago though) can USUALLY figure out a method by seeing the demos. Of course so can I. For me a download's only purpose is to act as a visual instruction sheet. Demos on the other hand are ridiculous for the most part, badly shot, poorly performed and in so many cases (as mentioned above by others) tips the method with a 2nd or 3rd viewing. Dealers: Downloads for sale YES. Demos: No. Unless you want to LOSE sales. For the rest of us...Saves us a bundle!

Of course not all Tip the trick...but if my Wife can figure it out...well...there ya go...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
Other than Penguin do you know of online magic suppliers doing systematical demos?
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

As a business owner myself, these are my thoughts.

When it comes to business, strategic decisions have to be made. The ultimate purpose of any decision is to maximize profit. In these video cases, I have to decide whether or not to do demos.
Revenue = Profit generated - Cost of making these videos

There can be 3 options
1. Do not make a video -> costs $0
2. Make an unprofessional video -> if a digital camera is present, costs $0
3. Make a professional video -> professional studio, lighting, camera crew, etc, costs a lot more

If I am the business owner, I have probably tested with my website how much adding a video affects sales. Thus, the bottom line is, if it is cost effective I will do it. Otherwise I won't.

It's all about the profit Smile

Phil
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10968 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Two shools of thaught.. Dr Sachs Dice routine has been around for over 50 years
try and fingure this out off a written page.....
But seeing someone perform and explain the moves is the only way to go weather the video is good or bad.
if david Copperfield said he had a trick for lets say 5 bucks he would make thausand s.. however if Joe Blow down the street had THE SAME EFFECT WITH OUT A DEMO HE WOULD NOT MAKE ..............JACK
It depends who si selling the product.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27306 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Option four: Ethical contract with magic community NOT to mess with stuff just because you saw the demo.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
First, name a trick that is on a Penguin video that Penguin has invented, and I will tell you why it's a bad demo.

The bad demos I have seen by inventors have been by people who shouldn't have been selling things in the first place.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Aloy
View Profile
New user
Singapore
36 Posts

Profile of Aloy
IMHO...
I think demos (and magic video clips for the matter) are generally evil. Mostly because I've saved so much money just by watching demos and videos, and generally because it goes against the 2nd Golden Rule of Magic (as stated in most children/beginner magic books) of "Never repeat a trick".
While a well done (honest) video can withstand 2 or 3 replays, they usually cracks after that, given some basic sleight knowledge. Especially the more sleights based effects.

Of course, there are some effects that by virtue simplicity/brevity of handling, can withstand endless replay (e.g. Invis Deck), but most(?) effects are not that straight forward, especially if it's a full routine rather than just a single sleight effect like the snap change.

If only there's a way to ensure each person can only view a demo ONCE.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some tricks actually reveal themselves the first time you watch the video. This can save you a lot of money if all you see is the ad.

I saved a chunk of change by watching a demo of a new telephone trick involving a spectator and a freely selected card.

It wasn't a bad demo. Just a very obvious trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com