The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ring Thing DVD - Garrett Thomas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
The main thing I don't like about the routines on the new Garrett DVD is that he uses an oversized ring (at least one size too big) that fits easily on any finger. Since I work strictly impromptu, I like to use a ring that I can actually wear on my finger and not just keep it in my pocket. The required use of the oversized ring killed the possibility of using much of the material on this DVD. The routine that Gregory Wilson does (which is an adaptation of Garrett's), is a fine adaption for me. I'm almost sorry I bought this DVD but was hoping I could learn maybe a couple more effects using finger rings.

Bob L.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Blpprt

I PMed you to see if you were interested in selling or trading that dvd.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Quote:
On 2006-04-30 19:50, blpprt wrote:
The main thing I don't like about the routines on the new Garrett DVD is that he uses an oversized ring (at least one size too big) that fits easily on any finger. Since I work strictly impromptu, I like to use a ring that I can actually wear on my finger and not just keep it in my pocket. The required use of the oversized ring killed the possibility of using much of the material on this DVD. The routine that Gregory Wilson does (which is an adaptation of Garrett's), is a fine adaption for me. I'm almost sorry I bought this DVD but was hoping I could learn maybe a couple more effects using finger rings.

Bob L.

What do you mean? You don't need an oversize ring...
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On 2006-04-30 19:50, blpprt wrote:
The main thing I don't like about the routines on the new Garrett DVD is that he uses an oversized ring (at least one size too big) that fits easily on any finger.
Bob L.

Bob,
Try using your normal finger ring (from your ring finger)and performing the moves at the "end" of the index finger, instead of all the way on. (I hope that is somewhat clear). Give it a try.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 11:08, Daniel Faith wrote:
I have the manuscript that I bought online and downloaded.
Excellent effect. It was difficult reading it and understand the moves as they are pretty intricate. The DVD will help in a big way with this.

Where did you get this?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2006-04-21 11:48, The One wrote:
I'll tell you why you should get this:
The illusion of the ring jumping back onto the finger is only ONE of the effects that can be accomplished with the Ring Thing move. The DVD explains many other extremely visual applications for the ring thing.

One of my favorite applications is the ring thru finger, as well as finger through coin/to ring. Not Daniel Garcia's by the way.

I wonder how much it looks like my Karate Coin Penetration???????
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
If you want to do the best impromptu effect ever then get this dvd. All you need is a ring, and a coin(if you want to do the spellbound moves).

Even if you have a greg wilson dvd, get the garrett thomas dvd. To understand the full impace of the effect, and see it done by the inventor.

The coin phases where he pokes a whole through the coin and it becomes a ring, is EXTREMELY VISUAL and not hard to do.

If you like ring stuff, or have the greg wilson dvd, and you don't get this you are missing out on ALOT.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
I've ordered it and it arrived today~!

The DVD is well made and the quality is good. Every details are covered and Garrett shares his own performance tips throughout the DVD, which is great. Garrett's style is kind of nice, he doesn't speak much during the performance but you'll surely know what he is going to show you -- pure magic. His poses are natural and even if you know how the moves are done you'll be fooled as much as a layman (at least for me)

Franky I'm not sure about the ring thing itself worths the whole DVD... but when you put all the materials together, it is well worth the money~! Definitely one of the best buy of close-up ring effects. Actually I like the "Pull Through" more =)

I myself don't have Greg.'s Ring Leader so I can't compare the 2. But this one is really cool, and for most effects all you need is a ring (not even a string). I agree with bob L that an oversized ring is better. For most routines you'll need to take off/on the ring single-handedly, which is kind of difficult if the ring you use fits your finger tightly (though Garrett suggests to do it near your fingertips in case you come along with a smaller ring). The ring I'm practising with is a ring that fits tighly around my first finger. But it's not a big problem once you modify the starting position of the ring at your second knucle.

I really like this DVD and the effects there. For those who would like to get started with ring effects, this is the one you should consider~
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Great review victor. I just ordered this last night after finally seeing a demo.

A quick question for you, or anyone. Can I use a PK ring to do these effects? I was holding off on purchasing a PK ring until I found out for sure. Just thought it would be nice to be able to do effects from both camps with one ring Smile
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Marvin,
I also think to use PK Ring for the Ring Thing effect, One thing you need to consider is the size of the ring, IMO effect with PK Ring needs a fit ring while effect in Ring Thing needs a loose ring although Garrett mention that this is not a must.
I suggest you hold buying the PK Ring until you watch the Ring Thing DVD.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Will do. Thanks for the advice.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks Marvin.

I'm sorry that I don't own PK ring so I can't really tell it is suitable for the ring thing or not. Garrett mentioned that the ring thing doesn't only applies for finger ring, you can use other stuff like Karate Coin, or even a bandage(!). So as long as it is a circular thing that wraps around you finger you are set to go. But as I mentioned if you want to do all the exact things in the DVD, a ring that fits tightly at the base of your finger wouldn't so easy as for some of the routines since you need to take it off single-handedly.

However, if you JUST want to do the ring thing, with a suitable storyline you can use a fit ring. But my suggestion is use a slightly oversided ring so you can do other effects as well. In this sense I agree with Jeff for withhold the purchasing of PK ring.

Hope that helps =)
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
The demo looks really visual. I have the any questions video of his. I still can't do the ring thing properly. Will this video improve my skills.?

I really want to get good at this effect because it is really visual, no talk needed.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 01:24, GeorgeSantos wrote:
The demo looks really visual. I have the any questions video of his. I still can't do the ring thing properly. Will this video improve my skills.?

I don't know how difference RT DVD with RT in Any Question video but there are some other good effects in the Ring Thing DVD like Ring Thru Finger, Ring to Coin to Ring etc and Garrett explains them in details. So I am sure it will improve your knowledge about Ring Thing effect. If you only interested with only the "Ring Thing" effect then I think you don't need to buy the DVD.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
The ring thing is the only effect that I perform almost every day, some times multiple times. For the past 4 years I have worn a ring on my finger just to do this effect. So I always have something on me for those show me a trick moments, no digging into your pocket for some coins or a deck of cards, its out their in the open and ready in a seconds notice.
JR
Who is Tattoo Joe?
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
349 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
What a fantastic DVD! I have seldom been so impressed both by the quality of magic and the quality of the DVD. This is one of the best buys if you like impromptu magic with visual flair. Garrett Thomas whetted my appetite for the ring thing on his other 'inside the mind of' DVDs with a performance only segment but this DVD really does the business. If you like ungimmicked magic that is quick and visual, get it!!
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I don't know what you think, but I wouldn't use a PK Ring with such a routine as much as possible. I would want to keep the PK Ring out of the scene as much as possible. I think it is better to have another ring, maybe on the other hand. What do you all think?
Yours,

Ivan
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Yup the PK ring could be used in other effects than just for the Ring Thing. If you have it on at the moment though, then why hesitate.. Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Whats wrong with useing a PK ring, if it looks like a normal ring?
Who is Tattoo Joe?