The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
If you were a judge:

If I used correct patter and it went well do you think it is appropriate to end a closeup act competition. with producing a dove ?

Would you think

A: "Stupid kid - birds are for stage"

OR

B: "Cool"

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There is no reason not to use a dove in a close up act whether in competition or just performing. In fact, several magicians are already doing close up dove effects.

You might want to consider exactly what close up means. David Oliver does his entire dove act in a small setting in New York where the audience is less than 10 feet away. It's a stage act done in a close setting. I think this qualifies as closeup magic. If he can do an entire dove act close up, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do one effect in your closeup routine.
Where the magic begins
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Thank you Mr. Scribner!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A few have done this already in competion, Ace Palmer comes to mind.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
This is a true story I had posted about a magician that did close up and at the end of his act he produced a dove. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......13&5

Under Maro's Post

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mark,

The only reason not to produce doves in a closeup show is because it won't fit your routine. By all means, go for it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Remember the cups and balls act using chicks (that's baby chickens for those who never of Matilda the worlds oldest chicken).
If you can use chicks, why not doves?
POOF!
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Doves go great with ANY type of magic - Love the Doves....Go for it! (Just keep in mind how long (time-wise) the close-up routine is and then WOW, Shock 'em with an ending!
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Thanks guys!
Michael M
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
87 Posts

Profile of Michael M
I believe Johnny Ace Palmer produces doves at the conclusion of his amazing close-up act. If you got the birds... make it happen!

Michael Matson
My Magic - My Way Entertainment
Conjuring With Character
www.MyMagicMyWay.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey, Johnny Ace Palmer produces a dove from coiled streamers and then does a dove split at the end...pretty cool stuff.
DANSPERRY.COM
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Take a gander yonder, it's Johnny Ace Palmer.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
What a vid....thanks micheal..
J Rodriguez
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
One of the greatest magicians that I know, Enric Magoo, do it and works excellent!!!Here is a video of his performance:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mT9AARJc6tQ
I hope help,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Go for it, Mark! =]

I actually produced my dove at then end of my close-up act for my SAM ring's competition, and I placed 1st! =D

And heres what the judges had to say about it:
"Vinnie Laraway performed a Silent Prediction card effect – without saying a word, he went through several large typed cards which did the talking – think of a card – is it black or red, etc. – lots of humor and intrigue – then from his mouth he produced the selected card. Vinnie’s second effect was a truly amazing Matching Pairs trick that culminated with all the remaining cards matching in an impossible way. And then to the amazement of the audience, as Vinnie stood for his well deserved round of applause, he produced a dove for his finale."

You can read about it here: http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......rum=48&6

Have a good one,
-Vinnie
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Micheal Ammar produced a would produce a Dove, in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded, with sleeves up, in the close-up part of his evening show. At least if my memories right... he mentions it in The Magic of Micheal Ammar book, and if he can do it... go for it!
Paul
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
I was wondering... how did the competition go? Did you produce a dove eventually?