The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Vanishing Stereo (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Marc Trudel
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Marc Trudel
A friend of mine is looking for a vanishing stereo.

Hank Lee advertises one but doesn't carry it anymore. Here is the description:
"The table is about 1/2" thick; it could never hide a thing! The Vanishing Stereo comes to you with the stereo, the plexiglas table the playback tape; instructions; and a professional flight-case (Anvil Style Case) for carrying."

If you know of another dealer who still carries one or maybe somebody who wants to sell one, please post or PM me directly.

Thanks

Marc Trudel
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Try magicmakers.com I was told they will build you one. I was looking for one and that is where I was told to go.

mike
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Marc,
I have one of the vanishing stereos you're referring to. It was built by Vienna Magic.
I made several improvements to mine and used it for a number of my shows I do with symphony orchestras. I was always nervous when that part of the show came up. Though it never failed me, I was never totally comfortable with it. It simply isn't that well made.
I should sell it but to be honest, I spent so much energy doing the refinements to it, I want to keep it for posterity.
However, I did ultimately go to Gerry Frenette of Magic Makers and they did built a new vanishing stereo for me. It works great and I've been very pleased with it.
One thing to definitely consider is the fact that they are loud when the magic occurs.

For my show, it's covered by Also Sprach Zarathustra played by the orchestra (also known as the theme to 2001: A Space Odyssy). Therefore, the noise isn't a problem but it is something one must consider.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Carrington
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Any pictures of the props available? Because I am planning to add one to my show also.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Face,
Go to my website: http://www.MagicofMusic.com
Under the Pictures from the show category, you'll find a good shot of the Vienna stereo. As I mentioned to Mike, I don't use it any longer in the show due to replacing it with a custom model but, the picture will certainly give you a good idea of how it looks.
All the best.
Carrington
JohanStahl
View Profile
New user
Sweden, Uppsala
43 Posts

Profile of JohanStahl
It looks like something from the 80´s.

Do you know if there is a Stereo that accually looks like a stereo?
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Tim Clothier just created a Vanishing Stereo that is printed in his new book. It's available at http://www.illusionprojects.com He does amazing work, and I trust him completely with my projects.

His version is very cleaver, and ends with the Radio turning into a girl if you wish.

Hope this might help a little.

Dave
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Johan,
You're absolutely right about the stereo looking 80's ish.
That's partly why I replaced it. Plus, as mentioned before, the workings were a bit dicey on it.
However, if you look at the Owen's model, (which I understand to be terrific...and expensive), it looks 1930's ish.
Best bet is to use the real facade from a new boom box if you're looking for a modern style.
All the best.
Carrington
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Am I right in assuming that recent tech innovations have made doing the vanishing stero/radio/boombox trickier? I mean with people using their iPods and PCs more for music, will the "stereo" go away? I bring this up because I remember some of the older "vanising radios" with the old tube-style radios, and wonder how it is done today to stay "hip".

And has Murry upgraded his "CD" act to DVDs? Does he support the "Blue-Ray" DVDs? :-D
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

I think if one uses a certain theme...ie: 80's theme or a 50's Rock & Roll
themed routine, there's still room for an outdated looking boom box or radio.

Let's consider one doing a 50"s Rock & Roll theme....you could do a color changing record routine along with a vanishing radio. Certainly many other themed items could be implemented.
I recall an old Copperfield special where he did exactly that idea. A 50's look.
He wore an upturned collared leather jacket which he ultimately took off and used to cover the "Owens Vanishing Radio" and proceeded to end the routine with the radio vanish. It had continuity and plenty of great visuals.
Marc Trudel
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Marc Trudel
Thanks for your input!

All this information will certainly help us!
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Amazingcarrington thanks for pictures. But is this new one, that you are useing now, similar to the one on pictures?
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Hello Face,
No, the one you saw on my site is my original Vienna Magic model.
I still own it but not using it for my show any longer.
Let me see if I can find a pic of the new one. If so, I'll email you.
All the best.
Carrington
Graphicwit
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
6 Posts

Profile of Graphicwit
I worked with David back then, and created the comedic nerd character in that routine. I set up and packed that radio many times. We performed it on talk shows, Tahoe, Vegas, variety television shows for years. The routine had a very clear story line and dramatic structure.

Quote:
On Apr 5, 2006, amazingcarrington wrote:

I recall an old Copperfield special where he did exactly that idea. A 50's look.
He wore an upturned collared leather jacket which he ultimately took off and used to cover the "Owens Vanishing Radio" and proceeded to end the routine with the radio vanish. It had continuity and plenty of great visuals.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I saw Copperfield do the vanishing radio live around 1983 when his tour came to Clearwater Florida! What a great show!
John magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of John magic
If you can find David Copperfield’s routine, it’s the best vanishing radio