The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Sinful leaving memorable impression. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gwhizz!
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Gwhizz!
Hi everyone. I was reading a post in the review section about sinful and a debate arose concerning whether we should deface the can with pliers or empty the can ourselves to destroy evidence.
I have recently purchased "coin through soda can" and felt I had to add something to the discussion regarding what would leave a more memorable impression to the effect. Personally I believe destroying the can in any way "COULD" ruin this effect. My reasons for this is that, to the spectators, we are not aware of whether the coin can exit the opening or not. Remember, we borrow the objects, we have no foreknowledge as to whether the coin can exit the can or not. So by emptying the contents of the can "COULD" imply we knew that it could be emptied and also, destroying the opening "COULD" imply foreknowledge of its failure to exit the opening. (a little bit presumptuous, no!)So on that note I would let the spectator empty the contents and if it falls out, it falls out. If it appears to be difficult coming out "THEN" suggest to the spectator cutting it out with a knife or something. This could only highten the performance. What do you guys think?
thanks, Glen.
"Real Magic is beyond the conjurer's grasp"
Glen Leigh.
stove167
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of stove167
When I do it if it falls out it falls out if not I give the can to the spectator and suggest cut it open but it doesn't really matter to me if they do or not
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
I have no problems ones is in is in they can grab the can and empty it them self they wont find nothing in any case they will be amaze and they will be asking how the hell it happen to me all the time I get great reaccions.
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
I usually leave the coin in. Make sure they can see it through the open hole and confirm it is their marked coin.
I hand it back and tell them they can cut the can open if they want their coin back.
Remember that the more you handle things the more the spectator can think you somehow switched coins etc. Their brain will be in overdrive trying to come up with a logical explaination because it IS their coin and it IS in the can.
If you cut the can open then as their mind tries to come up with an explanation it is just possible that you switched the coins. If you leave them to get the can open and take out their own coin then I think that is much stronger.
Also less chance of you or them getting cut.
I have tried carrying a pair of scissors which makes it easier to cut the can and they can do that but once again more handling and less improptu which to me is the greatest strength of the affect.
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
When I perform Sinful, I never touch the coin once I pour out the contents of the can. I continue shaking the can until the signature on the coin becomes apparent. This way the spectator thinks that the coin has been in there the whole time, rather than maybe you slipped it in secretly.

I never purposely take out the coin. I leave the coin in there, and if it does not come out of the can after a couple of shakes, the spectators will instinctively think that a quarter does not fit through the opening of the can, which will only strengthen the effect. If it does fall out, though, you can just tell them to inspect the coin and can and ask if that's really their own, borrowed, signed coin.

Steven
Chelfyn
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Chelfyn
Although it's requires setup and a little misdirection at the start, I get them to sign a pre-bent coin (bent at the edge) which I hold for them , then perform sinful and get the coin to fall out. while they're all examining the bent signed coin, I go over to a nearby rubbish bin and switch the empty can out and perform healed and sealed. The reaction to healed and sealed is awesome in this context.

the bent coin is just a little extra - I don't use it all the time as it's a lot less impromptu (as is the planted healed and sealed).

Sinful rarely fails to make an impression though.

I know many of you will think that this ruins the impromptu nature of sinful, but here in NZ the soda cans don't come with the right shaped mouths, so I have to choose from a small range of beers. this ruins the 'borrow everything' nature of sinful so much that I feel it helps to put more impact in in other ways.
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
I always destroy the can by squeezing it, and bending it to rip it. My audience tends to want to know who everything's done. Give them a quarter and the empty soda can, they'll play around with it and eventually work it out.
MAGISHAUN
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of MAGISHAUN
Ive found that by slowly pouring out everything in the can without trying to make a noise builds suspense. Its almost like they know whats goin to happen but still doesn't seem possible. Then as the can is tilted after everything is poured out I shake the can a little so they can hear it in there then give them the can and let them ponder on what just happened. Its been succefull for me and is one of those where if you do it right you create a miracle in front of there eyes with thier property. If you really want to freak them out (if the misdirection is perfect) while they are all focused on the can and trying to get it out and laughing amongst themselves , while all attention is on the spectator and the can - you walk off, then they look up and your gone! I did that at a restaurant with tables outside and when I was done I left a stack of business cards on the table before I "disappeared" and everyone that picked up my card called me the next day and booked a show and were so amazed that I picked up their quarter and can and made the impossible happen then disappeared, it was awesome.
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
If the coin falls out I say great but if it gets stuck I had them pliers.
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
Sorry about that my computer is running really really slow.