The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Getting work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
Hi All, I'm new to these boards and I have to say that it is great, nice people, nice topics and a wealth of information.

I have been doing magic for a number of years now, I stopped doing it for a year with work and all, but now I have a lot of free time so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the above subject. I do magic for family and friends at the moment, how can I further this?

Regards

AA
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
First, put together a nice little show, suitable for whatever age group interests you the most. I would recommend children's magic -- it's the most rewarding for me, anyway.

Then, spread the word among your family and friends that you are open to doing birthday parties, block parties, school functions, boy/girl scout meetings, etc.

Pay attention when you talk to people about their hobbies and do a little magic for them. Look for opportunities to do little shows for a token amount -- maybe just as favors, initially.

The idea is to do some shows for large or small groups of people in the community. Do it well and word will spread. Try to find groups attended by well-known people in the community. Church groups are good for this, for example.

Of course, every time you do a show you should bring a large stack of flyers with your name, contact information, a pretty picture, and what type of events you are available for. After the show, hand out the flyers and autograph them for people if they ask. It may seem a bit pretentious, but children love to get autographs from a Real Magician! That will ensure they bring your flyer home and keep it around the house, where their parents are sure to see it.

These are just some simple ideas to get you started. But word of mouth is the most powerful (and cheapest) form of marketing.