The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Unintended meaning of song lyrics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Speaking of those scooter people, that's one of the reasons I am really annoyed when visiting Disneyland. Not only do you have to dodge the stroller brigades but now you have all these scooter people coming at you from every direction (and I get the feeling that maybe close to half of them could walk but just choose to sit on their beehind and zoom along)! But what does that have to do with the topic??

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 13:41, Vlad_77 wrote:

Off topic, but, why is it that in English, a "fat chance" and a "slim chance" imply the same thing? Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

No paradox there - just one of the great inventions of all time: irony!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Wow a wise man. Or is that wise guy?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
OK, back on topic...Does anyone remember the Johnny Rivers song about the four sided cow? If I remember correctly the refrain ended with "girl, it's hard to find nice things on a four sided cow".
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-05-13 17:32, GlenD wrote:
Speaking of those scooter people, that's one of the reasons I am really annoyed when visiting Disneyland. Not only do you have to dodge the stroller brigades but now you have all these scooter people coming at you from every direction (and I get the feeling that maybe close to half of them could walk but just choose to sit on their beehind and zoom along)! But what does that have to do with the topic??

GlenD

When we went to WDW, my wife was one of those in a scooter. She can walk, just not all day long. (kidney problems) The scooter saved the vacation. If it makes you feel better, I'll look for you at our next visit and see if I can get my wife to run you down.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hey, would you really? That is so thoughtful of you. Sheesh, I thought it was ok to rant just a little on here now and then.

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
You know... I was at Universal studios a while back and my son (5 years) almost got mowed down by one of these scooters. I was then told by the angry 450 lb. woman riding the thing as fast as it would go and not looking where she was going, that it was my son's fault because he was in her way.

I just love the people that sit around eating all day, getting so fat they can't walk and then get a free scooter. (Being on disability because they are to lazy and fat to work). They then think that courtesy is not their problem anymore because they are on a scooter.

Believe me when I say that if this woman would have hurt one hair on my kids head, She would have had no use for a scooter where she would have been going.

This of course is not all people who own a scooter. But they don't really license people to drive a scooter. Perhaps they should and penalize those who cause harm.

Theres my rant added.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Sooooooooooooooooo....

How 'bout them song lyrics? Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The scooter ad used to throw me a bit, but I figured they were implying that someone is limited by the amount of mobility they have. Which isn't much.

Someone being limited by their LACK of mobility would be more correct, but when did Mad Ave ever care about correctness ("Winston tastes good like a cigarette should." "What do you want, good grammar or good taste?" "Maxwell House is good to the last drop." etc.)

Going back to the song lyrics. We're playing a CD of Elton John at the Wal*Mart I work at (we don't have piped in music anymore). Listen to one CD for eight hours straight and tell me you still like it. At any rate, for some reason, whenever "Tiny Dancer" came on, even though I can hear the line properly; "Lay me down in sheets of linen." Every time the line comes up I expect to hear; "Lay me down in sheets of leather."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 12:00, GlenD wrote:
Hey, would you really? That is so thoughtful of you. Sheesh, I thought it was ok to rant just a little on here now and then.

No problem. Wouldn't want you to feel left out.
Nothing wrong with ranting. But you have to realize some of us don't see the object of your rant the way you do.

I'm sort of reminded of Jeff Dunham's 'Walter' character; "Y'know what I hate? People who abuse handicapped license plates. I saw a guy with a set of handicapped license plates get out of his car, there was nothing wrong with him. So I ran him over (laughter from audience) I made an honest man out of him. His mother was so mad, she got out of the car and started beating on my car with her crutches. I took her out with the car door!"

BTW, I'm not here to judge WHY someone is in a scooter (although we get a lot of them in the Wal*Mart I work at who clearly are seriously straining the suspension system of the scooter) If you're in a scooter, you are in a _vehicle_ and should act accordingly. (I can assure you my wife did and will on our next visit. So I guess I won't be able to get her to run you down. Smile I'm sorry if that leaves you feeling left out!)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Hey another lyric post. (Same song) "Tiny Dancer" was playing over the sound system and one customer turned to her friend and said; "Why are they singing about 'Tony Danza?'"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 23:49, ed rhodes wrote:
Hey another lyric post. (Same song) "Tiny Dancer" was playing over the sound system and one customer turned to her friend and said; "Why are they singing about 'Tony Danza?'"

Well Ed,
That is ONE image that will forever haunt me, especially since the band I am in DOES that Elton John classic. *Laughs, I might just have to sing it that way one night, of course, in the third set when everyone is drunk Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
For me and my buds, the hormones were raging, and we delighted in being "in the know" of what we were convinced were underground lyrics, and lewd to boot...

The Shirelles

But will you love me tomorrow?

Is this a lasting treasure
Or just a moment's pleasure?
Can I believe the magic of your thighs?
Will you still love me tomorrow?

Of course, it was "sighs". Or was it?

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
All this scooter people talk reminds me of a song by The Who... "Going Mobile", remember that one? There's that one part where I used to think it said something like... "well I can lay in bed with a hole in my head" or something like that. Kind of cracks me up, especially when I hear it now. Beep beep! LOL

GlenD

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I always liked "don't Fear The Reaper" but there's a lot of the lyrics I never really figured out on that one either. Maybe I will try searching the internet.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 09:56, GlenD wrote:
I always liked "don't Fear The Reaper" but there's a lot of the lyrics I never really figured out on that one either. Maybe I will try searching the internet.

All our times have come
Here, but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the reaper
Nor do the wind and the sun and the rain
We can be like they are
Come on baby (Don't fear the reaper)
Baby take my hand (Don't fear the reaper)
We'll be able to fly (Don't fear the reaper)
Baby, I'm your man

Valentine is down
Here, but now they're gone
Romeo and Juliet
Are together in eternity (Romeo and Juliet)
40,000 men and women every day (like Romeo and Juliet)
40,000 men and women every day (redefine happiness)
Another 40,000 comin' every day (we can be like they are)
Come on baby (don't fear the reaper)
Baby take my hand (don't fear the reaper)
We'll be able to fly (don't fear the reaper)
Baby I'm your man

Love of two is one
Here but now they're gone
Came the last night of sadness
And it was clear that she couldn't go on
Then the door was open and the wind appeared
The candles blew and then disappeared
The curtains flew and then he appeared (sayin' "don't be afraid")
And she ran to him (then they started to fly)
They looked backward and said goodbye (she had become like they are)
She had taken his hand (she had become like they are)
Come on baby (don't fear the reaper)

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Going way, way back to the original post, not about misheard lyrics, but about possibly unintentional meanings of actual lyrics, I'll nominate "Anna Go to Him" by The Beatles.

You say he loves you more than me
So I will set you free

I'm strongly inclined to suspect that he meant "...he loves you more than I"

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I always wondered in "She's Not There," by The Zombies. The singer goes on about how bad the girl was to him and don't bother trying to find her; "She's not there!"

Well, where IS she, exactly?