The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ninja rings: worth buying without DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 09:53, Bob Kohler wrote:
I spent the day with Shoot yesterday. He showed me a ton of little touches that he's perfected since we shot the video. No doubt that Shoot is a perfectionist and he continues to work on routines even though most would already consider them perfect.

I was amazed that he's managed to make the illusion of the rings linking much more impossible. It's most refreshing to see someone push the limits past what were previously possible. If you get a chance to attend one of Shoot's workshop, don't miss it. If you know he's coming practice the work on the Ninja Rings DVD so that you can absorb the new work he's sharing.

I did have the good fortune to be able to attend one of his ninja rings workshops, and it was fantastic. Being 17 and able to meet one of your magic idols is fantastic, and I'll never forget it. You're absolutely right in saying he manages to make the illusion of the linking rings almost perfect. The way Shoot guages your talent with the Ninja Rings is on a scale form 0-200. He claims to be about a 170 I think, I can't recall. But, he bases it mainly on how smooth your basic crash link is, and his is fantastic. Even sitting at the table watching him do it, it looks exactly as if it's going through solid metal... unreal.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I saw absolutely nothing new in the ninja ring routine that was not aready in print. And that I already have not tried with my regular linking rings. He is selling the little childs set I had as a kid, with a re-hash of old moves.
I use a large 8 ring set now. I still have my small adams 5" rings I paid 50cents for. They work perfectly for all the moves. Which, by the way, can be found in all the old books on linking rings. I see time and time again, BIG NAME
magicians are just copying moves from old books, a rehash, for the younger genration that is too lazy to read. And wants it instantly on DVD. It's a shame what magic has turned into.
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Ace,
What is old, is new again. I find Shoot's interpretation of the classic entertaining...and audiences do, too.

Incidentally, I'm not sure I've ever heard Shoot try to take credit for originating any of the moves.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1393 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Thanks for your reply, I guess it's just not for me.
Sorry, I was at his lecture at a TAOM, and I walked out bored. (He missed the spin link 3 times. I've seen ring routines close to juggling, throwing the ring in the air and it comes down linked. And the spin link is in an old book I have.) So I went in the dealers room, and bought some more books. I'm just a book lover. I guess it's just what one's preference is. And I perform rings daily, several times. Thank you for your comment.
So I'm wondering if it ok for me to interpret an old trick my way, and buy them wholesale and make a DVD? I got bashed in other topics for even mentioning this.
And it is okay, if you have a 'NAME' in magic. Double standard, I guess. I'm a nobody, so they say it is not okay.
I did meet Dan Fleshman, he came to my city. He does his version of the ninja rings also. He sells them and has them on his DVD also. I'm willing to bet a lot, if I were to DVD my routine and sell some rings, I would be punished, lol.

ACE