The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Sponge - problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I usually finish my sponge routines (balls or rabbits) with handing the spectator many littele sponges in her hand! My problem is, getting those 6 to 8 sponges out of the pocket of my jacket without fumbling. Exists there any clip to hold them together or what is a practable solution to get them all in one second? Thank you for help!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'm sure you could fashion something, however, ....

Perhaps your routine is not put together in such a way to allow you to grab
them, squish them, and bring them out.

My advice is to do this move when the routine is considered "over" by the spectators.

if mommy and daddy rabbit end up together in the spectator's hand.. well, that's it. End of trick.

Your job is to relax, drop your shoulders, shut up, put your hand in your pockets, take one step back, and SELL to the audience that it is OVER. This is one of the more extremely useful, deceptive, disarming, misdirective, but not easy for the beginner, tool you will ever learn. And body language has a LOT to do with it.

At that precise moment, listen to the audience, as they will have comments.
"oh boy, those are cute. I didn't even feel both"

Respond to them
"yeah, sure. cute as hell. so did you finally figure out which on is the daddy?"

You pick up the daddy and by this time (which should be a good 5 seconds or even much more) and you already have all the babies too. Add the mommy, put "both" into the spectator's hand and you're off to the races.

Get Daryl's Fooler Dooler DVD with the routine '... hits the big time'.
.. and Patrick page's Sponge Ball video.

You'll see and excellent example of this, I'm sure.
It's standard practice in all of magic. And one you will be very pleased
to use.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I do it just like Frank says. There is a lot of built in misdirection with most routines whether they be sponges or bunnies. I use the bunnies more often and when she opens her hand and everyone sees two bunnies instead of one, I could change my underwear and nobody would notice.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-21 13:07, Doug Arden wrote:
I could change my underwear and nobody would notice.

I'd like to see that.

I mean....
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
No, trust me, you wouldn't!
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Franks' description hits dead on with a topic Shoot Ogawa is currently lecturing about on his tour. Shoot uses this same basic principle for his final load in a thimble routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Boy, I teach Shoot one things and goes out and lectures on it.
That really burns my ass.

The nice thing about learning this is that you are directing attention away fom yourself, you are projecting information that the effect is over and that it is
time for the rabbits to be inspected, you're making a joke, interacting with the spectators all by doing NOTHING!

The beginner on the other hand, is squirming to get bunnies, trying to figure out what to say, jerking their hand out of their pocket, messing up the trick, creating a lack of magical moments and a lack of entertainment by doing A LOT.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Another thought to consider when going for the tiny balls.
You don't have to get every one of them. Perhaps that is causing the fumbling?
When I do it, I go for them but don't mess around trying to get every last ball.
Put enough in your pocket to accomadate this type of thinking.
You still would not go for them without proper misdirection!!
Daniel Faith
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Thank you everybody for help!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Please let us know how your next performance goes?
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
If you try to put the sponges in your pants pocket vs. your jacket. I keep mine in my pants pockets and I have no problem fumbling. Try it out.
Shane
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hello again Angelo:I keep the load of bunnies in my right vest pocket.Being that they are compressed together,it is super easy to scoop them out at the right moment.Best.
Rich
Todd Lamanske
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Todd Lamanske
It may seem obvious but you should also have nothing else in your pocket but the baby bunnies (or small sponge balls).

In my routine, when I get to the point that they have 2 and I have nothing, I open my hand and say "I thought I had one". As I say this, I pat myself down as if I am looking for the one I lost. Then I say "wait, what do you have?". As I say this last line, my left hand goes into my left pants pocket (in a continuation of patting myself down searching for the lost bunny/ball)and I steal my load. My hand comes out concealing the bunnies/balls in a closed fist but pointing my index finger. I mirror that action with my right hand and as both hands are pointing at the spectator I say "Oh, there it is".

This takes only a second. I immediately rest my left hand on the back of a chair or on the left edge of the table. I agree it is best to wait a few seconds or even minutes to let the initial effect sink in. Then go for the kill with the climax.

This is such a strong trick. People want to see it again and again.

Todd
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Having nothing else in your pocket is a great idea.

what is most important is that the routine is worked out to allow you time
to get them in a logical way.

bunny pocket placement preferences are helpful, indeed,
but have little to do with the real answer to the original question.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Thank you everybody! My newest idea is,to give them in a little tube. This tube was fixed with a safety pin on one end in my pocket. The tube has a slit, large enough for me indexfinger to pull all the rabbits in my hand! I'll try it next week!
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I usually stow them in my front right pocket - most pants have some room near the top of the pocket toward the crotch; you can actually shove your final load in that spot.

Man, using crotch and final load in the same sentence isn't a very good idea!
Logic Defied
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-03-26 10:14, sjballa147 wrote:
If you try to put the sponges in your pants pocket vs. your jacket. I keep mine in my pants pockets and I have no problem fumbling. Try it out.
Shane

That's what I do. The jacket pockets are really awkward to use for steals. The front pants pocket allows the hand to make the steal, smoothly. As long as the pants aren't too baggy or too snug, they'll work just fine.
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
Hi Angelo,

I don`t know weather this will help, but maybe just an idea. Check this address and maybe you`ll think of something similar yourself:)

http://www.allmagic.com/magicshow/stage/......pro.html

Regards
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Thank you dolphin - very, very good! Best regards from wonderful Vienna!