The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Copperfield's "Perfect Place Card" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
On Copperfield's Tornado special David did an illusion named "Perfect Place Card". I was wondering if anyone here knows the name of the original illusion. It's a collective card prediction, a mathematical card trick. I know how it works and I'm looking forward to know the original name and creator.
Thanks in advance for the help
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, if I'm wrong just let me know.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
That effect was invented by Jim Steinmeyer, who refers to it as the "Nine Card Problem".

You can find it in his book, Impuzzibilities (click highlighted text for link).
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
Thank you Scott. Yes it is!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
That's incorrect.
Steinmeyer's Nine Card Problem was used several years ago on David's "Fires of Passion".
For his more recent tour, of which the "Tornado of Fire" special is a sampling, he performs a version of "Out of Sorts" which, if memory serves, was developed by Phil Goldstein. In his book, "Paramiracles", Ted Lesley details the workings of this effect and lays out several solid routines with it.
It's a binary sorting system and feels, in many ways, more free than the Nine Card Problem, as there are several points in the routine where the cards can be shuffled. That is to say, everyone's card need not start in the same place, as is the case with the Nine Card Problem.
It's all in the reflexes.
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
Thank you meauxfeaux
I am reviewing it again... it's amaizing and so simple. You're right it's quite different than Steinmeyer's Nine Card Problem, in fact it uses 8 cards and as you say you have two times to shuffle your cards. Everyone is free to place his card anywhere at the beginning. Great effect
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
May I ask what it is you're viewing when you say you're reviewing it again?
I don't recall that David ever recorded this effect for a television special.
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
Mmm I did it, I recorded on video VHS
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
You mean to say that you recorded yourself performing the effect? Or that you recorded David doing it?
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
If I am not mistaken, the Perfect Place card aired on the International Version of Tornado of Fire along with the Moon Card Rise and Thirteen Person Vanish. I think Test Conditions was also on the international version.